aileenann
Thanks Received: 227
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 4 times.

Q2 - Economist: Some sociologists argue

by aileenann Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:49 am

The core of this argument is:

modern capitalism requires big corporations -> therefore modern capitalism promotes communal ties

So we need to pick an assumption that supports this conclusion. I think here many readers will also even formulate an idea of what an assumption could look like before even getting to the answer choices. We probably want to find something that connects big corporations to communal ties (remember, we leave our outside knowledge behind, in case anyone finds corporate culture less than communal :) ).

With that in mind, let's check out the answers:

(A) is out of scope. We don't care about other economic systems.
(B) is also out of scope. We don't care about the purpose of modern capitalism - we just care about what it does. These are not the same thing unless you are bringing in your own assumptions about the real word :)
(C) is also out of scope. We don't know or care about corporations that compete with one another.

(D) BINGO! This is exactly what we predicted up above.
(E) is out of scope for the same reason as (A).

ttunden
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q2 - Economist: Some sociologists argue

by ttunden Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:42 pm

I picked the right answer but I hesitated when picking it in a timed setting. It was between C and D. Luckily, I picked D. However, I was hesitant because I felt that the author actually stated this, and that it wasn't an assumption.

Did the author not state D in the stimulus? Perhaps D was implied but I swear the economist stated D in the stimulus. I just would like some further explanation if possible.

Thanks.

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q2 - Economist: Some sociologists argue

by tommywallach Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 pm

Inference = already said. (Believe it or not. Our books'll teach you about this stuff!).

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com