Q18

lhermary
Thanks Received: 10
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q18

by lhermary Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm having a hard time seeing why B is right here. The information to answer this question is clearly in line 16-20. I just don't see how that translates into B.

Thanks

christine.defenbaugh
Thanks Received: 585
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q18

by christine.defenbaugh Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:27 am

Your instincts are correct that for inference questions, such as this one, we want to go back to the passage and ensure that our answer choice is directly supported by the text.

This question asks us to infer an appropriate example of a regulatory response. Regulatory responses are discussed in lines 6-10 of the passage, examples of which include "increasing or decreasing the rates of various processes[...]". (B) refers to increasing the pulse rate, which is a specific example in line with the general description in lines 8-9.

For this question, lines 16-20 won't help, as they actually begin the discussion of developmental responses, which continues for the rest of the passage. This is a great illustration of why having a strong sense of the passage map can help you from being lead astray on questions!

Incorrect Answers
(A), (C), (D), and (E) each refer to gradual change in the physiology itself, making them acclimatory changes.

Please let me know if that answers your question!

Djjustin818
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by Djjustin818 Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm confused on this one.

Line 3-4 says that these adaptive responses react to changing ENVIRONMENTAL conditions. Which is why I crossed out B because it was not an environmental condition. Also, line 7-10 does refer to the increasing or decreasing rates of various processes, FOR EXAMPLE. Because it included the for example part, I assumed it was not necessary, but the environmental conditions part was necessary for the changes. Thus, I was between A and C. Could someone explain why I was wrong please?

christine.defenbaugh
Thanks Received: 585
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by christine.defenbaugh Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks for the question, Djjustin818!

Be super vigilant about specific words and meaning. The "changing environmental conditions" would include any changes in the environment outside the body. We often use the word 'environment' to mean flora/fauna/weather, but it can easily simply mean 'surroundings/situation'. This latter meaning is how the word is being used in this passage. As such, all of the answer choices state or imply some outside stimulus as "changing environmental conditions" (exercise, sunlight, seasons).

As a strategic point, since the "changing environmental conditions" are the triggers for all three of these types of responses, it would be unusual for the LSAT to test that distinction when they are asking specifically about a regulatory response. They are much more likely to be testing your understanding of the differences between regulatory responses and the other two types of responses.

I'm slightly unclear on your question regarding the 'for example'. Could you clarify? Regulatory responses do not have to be increasing/decreasing processes, but an increased/decreased process (like an increased pulse rate) would qualify as one example of a regulatory process.

Does that make sense?