chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

Q18

by chike_eze Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 am

The RC passage gave me a big headache. Please explain what "traditional approach" is being referred to here.

peg_city
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Re: Q18

by peg_city Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm

I'd like to know this too. C seems like the answer to me...

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by LSAT-Chang Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I also had a question about this one. What is the difference between A and D exactly?

ivankrasnov88
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

by ivankrasnov88 Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm not speaking on behalf of the experts, but it seems to me that the 'traditional history' is either "strictly narrative or narrative with an emphasis on causality" (41-42).

Definition of narrative: A spoken or written account of connected events; a story: "a bare narrative of the details".

Answer choice D is neither a narrative nor seems to be directly explaining any causality, as required by the definition in lines 41-42.

All the other answer choices except A also present a situation that is not a narrative.

On a personal note:
I'm not sure if anyone else had this trouble, but I was mistakenly thinking that lines 41-42 were actually referring to Harraway's approach, but then quickly contrasted it with the fact that in line 36 the author states that she has no master narrative.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 4 times.

by giladedelman Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 am

Yes, that's right: the "traditional" approach is one that emphasizes narrative or narrative + causality. In other words, old-fashioned storytelling: A happened, then B happened, then C, which caused D, and finally E.

Answer (A) fits the bill here because it is a chronological account, so we have the narrative part, and it pays attention to the circumstances that led to Curie's discovery, so it also emphasizes causal argument.

(B) is out because it's not history at all, it's just speculation about the future.

(C) is just a transcript of conversations, and there's no resolution or conclusion. So there is nothing "narrative" about this, there's no story or sequence.

(D) is out because, again, no narrative.

(E) ditto.

The key to this type of question is to identify what we know has to be in the answer before we get to the choices. In this case, we know the answer has to say something about emphasizing a narrative-based approach because that's the only thing the passage tells us about the traditional approach to history.