Q18

JorieB701
Thanks Received: 3
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q18

by JorieB701 Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm actually confused about what the standard is for a correct answer on a question like this. They don't simply want to know what was mentioned, correct? Must it actually be a part of their argument? As in, part of their argument core?

RogerD345
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Re: Q18

by RogerD345 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 pm

great question i want to know the answer for the same reason

DeclanO810
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 1 time.

by DeclanO810 Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:27 am

I got this question wrong (selected B). The correct answer (A) I had first selected, then erased because I thought it did not really 'play a role' in passage B, it was simply mentioned (so similar I think to the two previous posters on this question). Having now worked it through on review, we can use process of elimination for the wrong answers:

A. Correct - Mentioned in B (39) but not A
B. Mentioned in A (10)
C. Mentioned in A (2) - I had missed this when trying to narrow down answers as I had not re-read the very intro of the passage. There is also mention of 'correlates' (line 13) which is related to the concept of causation.
D. Mentioned in A (11)
E. Not mentioned in B. A discusses immoral acts and punishments related to them (15-20).

Tough question as it is somewhat of a stretch to say that the term mental disorder played much of a role in B, but it did play some minor role at least (eliminating this category of persons in order to tighten up the theory's definition of free will).

Key Takeaway: Work wrong-to-right, and try not to second guess that work. I had felt like causality was in Passage A in my first pass over the answers, selected A, then thought about how A may not really play a key role, and by that point felt like I had taken too much time to then go and verify that causality had been mentioned and picked it because it seemed like the next best option.

If an LSAT expert can weigh in on whether we are safe to think of 'plays a role' as being mentioned for questions generally, that would be helpful.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Sorry for the delayed response.

Truthfully, I would probably downplay the specific wording of "plays a role in the argument of" and mostly see this task as, "Which of these is mentioned in B, but not in A"?

(A) only mentioned in B

(B) mentioned in both

(C) mentioned in both

(D) only mentioned in A

(E) not explicitly mentioned in either, but there's a strong paraphrase for it in A, lines 16-19.

From that quick first pass analysis, it looks like (A) is the only one that is uniquely in passage B.
Did "mental disorder" play a role in psg B's argument?

Sure. Psg B is barely making an argument, but it's exploring the question of whether free will can coexist with determinism.

We bring up mental disorders such as kleptomania in line 43 as an example of a constrained action, and then when the author is giving her final takeaway in 53-56, she says that "actions that originate from a disease-free brain are not constrained, and are therefore free, even though they may be determined."

I haven't seen this "play a role in the argument" much, if at all besides this one, when it comes to asking a "which is mentioned in this passage but not that passage".

I wouldn't read too much into it. If you're ever doing a Strengthen or Weaken task in RC, definitely try to think about the author's conclusion vs. evidence.

JinZ551
Thanks Received: 3
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by JinZ551 Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:53 pm

I have struggle dealing with comparative passages.
As for this question, I realize I have to reread both the passages in order to find the answer, which would be impossible to do under time constrain.
When I do this question under time constrain, I totally have no idea which to choose, all of them seem familiar but I cannot be sure which one belongs to which passage, or where to find them back in the passage.

Anyone has advise for dealing with comparative passage, especially for detailed question?
Thanks in advance