Q17

Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q17

by 547494985 Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:33 am

hi, can anyone explain to me why A is right? I thought the ungenerous part is not supported by the text. I picked C since the first part about plausibility is supported by line 42-52. also, can anyone explain to me what's the difference between the "mistaken in its interpretation of evidence" and "rest upon ambiguous evidence"?

Thanks in advance.

codylreaves
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q17

by codylreaves Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Hey 547494985!

This is my first post, so I am sure it will need to be cleaned up a bit by the Manhattan gurus. Here is my take.

I got this question correct during my timed PT, but did circle it after due to the convoluted wording that made me second guess.

(A) CORRECT ANSWER.

The first part ("ungenerous in its view of human nature") is supported by Passage B in lines 41-45. The author asked if the study means we care most about "one-upmanship," something that certainly is not flattering. The author then says that our "primeval past" may bring about an "urge to demonstrate our superiority." It was this language that led me to feel that "ungenerous" was supported in answer (A).

As for the second part ("mistaken in its interpretation of the evidence"), this is supported by lines 48-50. Here, the author of Passage B states that the theory "may sound good... but it is not the explanation best supported by the evidence.

Here is the breakdown for the rest of the answer choices...

(B) The author of passage B is definitely does not think that the conclusion of the study is "flattering in its implications." Eliminate.

(C) I thought answer choice (C) had potential after reading "plausible in its account of human nature," but the second part just does not match up. We cannot find any support for the author of Passage B thinking the study is based on "ambiguous evidence." Eliminate.

(D) I thought answer choice (D) also had a chance after reading "unflattering in its implications," but the second half does not fit. The author of Passage B does not offer any support of the idea that the conclusions drawn from the evidence are "more or less valid." Eliminate.

(E) The author of Passage B does not think that the conclusion of Solnick and Hemenway's study is "accurate concerning human nature." Eliminate.

Thus, we can look back at answer choice (A) and see that it is the only answer choice where both the first and second part match the text. It is our correct answer.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by 547494985 Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:34 am

codylreaves Wrote:Hey 547494985!

This is my first post, so I am sure it will need to be cleaned up a bit by the Manhattan gurus. Here is my take.

I got this question correct during my timed PT, but did circle it after due to the convoluted wording that made me second guess.

(A) CORRECT ANSWER.

The first part ("ungenerous in its view of human nature") is supported by Passage B in lines 41-45. The author asked if the study means we care most about "one-upmanship," something that certainly is not flattering. The author then says that our "primeval past" may bring about an "urge to demonstrate our superiority." It was this language that led me to feel that "ungenerous" was supported in answer (A).

As for the second part ("mistaken in its interpretation of the evidence"), this is supported by lines 48-50. Here, the author of Passage B states that the theory "may sound good... but it is not the explanation best supported by the evidence.

Here is the breakdown for the rest of the answer choices...

(B) The author of passage B is definitely does not think that the conclusion of the study is "flattering in its implications." Eliminate.

(C) I thought answer choice (C) had potential after reading "plausible in its account of human nature," but the second part just does not match up. We cannot find any support for the author of Passage B thinking the study is based on "ambiguous evidence." Eliminate.

(D) I thought answer choice (D) also had a chance after reading "unflattering in its implications," but the second half does not fit. The author of Passage B does not offer any support of the idea that the conclusions drawn from the evidence are "more or less valid." Eliminate.

(E) The author of Passage B does not think that the conclusion of Solnick and Hemenway's study is "accurate concerning human nature." Eliminate.

Thus, we can look back at answer choice (A) and see that it is the only answer choice where both the first and second part match the text. It is our correct answer.

Hopefully this helps!

thank you very much, it helps a lot~ :)

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:12 am

Great explanation! Thanks!