Q17

imasexybastard
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Q17

by imasexybastard Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:03 am

I see why D is right, but why is C wrong? Isn't the metal Noguchi used in his sculptures after ending his association w/ Brancusi Chrome-nickle steel?

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT59, S4, Q17 - The passage provides information sufficient

by noah Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:06 pm

I think you may be misreading something here. We never learn about any materials other than metal - we just learn about the metal Noguchi uses. Plus, when did his association with Bracusi end? Perhaps they were still associated after he returned to the states.

mary.marycheng145
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q17

by mary.marycheng145 Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 pm

I always have trouble answering questions such as Q17, which asks "the passage provides information sufficient to answer which one of the following questions?"

I almost feel like I have to reread the passage to answer the question because I don't remember the details...

Any useful technique to solve this problem?
thanks!

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q17

by bbirdwell Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Tough question to answer, generally. The nuances of approach for these kinds of questions can vary from passage to passage.

Generally, though, you can prepare yourself to answer these questions efficiently by marking or considering *where* information is when you read it. That way, you know that for background information, paragraph 1; for early days, paragraph 2; for innovations, last paragraphs.

Also, playing a good game of elimination in the choices here is key, reading them with a "no or maybe" mentality can help you save time. Sometimes it's easier to eliminate 4 that you can definitely identify/remember and choose the one leftover.
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

genieb
Forum Guests

by genieb Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 pm

I picked D as a contender but eventually chose A. Can someone explain to me why A is not correct? Doesn't the passage tell the story about how Noguchi encountered Brancusi and started cutting stone for him? (lines 19-21)

THANKS.

etwcho
Thanks Received: 12
Forum Guests

by etwcho Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:15 am

A) is incorrect because all we know is that Noguchi cut and polished stone for Brancusi's brass and bronze sculptures (Lines 19-21), but we do not know "in what way" or "how" Noguchi FIRST began to acquire the experience. Maybe he first learned it from a textbook when he was a still a child.

bronny
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by bronny Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but in order to answer this question correctly, it would seem that you MUST know that chrome-nickel steel is in fact a metal. I assumed it was, but given the answer choices, realized "I don't actually know that for sure. I'm not positive what constitutes a 'metal', exactly." And I got the wrong answer because of my ignorance about the definition of metal. Seems silly. Maybe they figure "if she's that ignorant about stuff everyone knows, she couldn't be a lawyer anyway ... " ??? Lol. What am I missing here? TIA.

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Yep, you do have to know that "steel" is a metal. Sorry! : )
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

abkrusemark
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by abkrusemark Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:29 pm

I thought this question was frustrating because you have to assume that bronze, brass, gold, and steel are all metals, without the passage ever mentioning "metals." I guess a bigger clue would be "after ending his association with Brancusi" because it's not clear when, if ever, that ends.

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:41 pm

But they are metals. That's factually true.

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

ganbayou
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ganbayou Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:14 pm

I was not sure between C and D...

I thought Noguchi used "chrome-nickel steel"...is this part of metal so it does not count?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Correct, chrome-nickel steel is metal, so THAT detail wouldn't help us answer (C)'s question, which is about "OTHER than metal".

zijiez700
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by zijiez700 Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks for all the explanation but could anyone please explain why we can get the inference on D from the passage as well? I can now understand why C is wrong but still could not get my head around on D besides eliminating the other four.