Q17

jiyoonsim
Thanks Received: 8
Forum Guests

Q17

by jiyoonsim Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 am

I am a bit surprised that no one asked about this game! Could you please help me with the diagraming? (along with question 14 and 17?) I was thoroughly lost as I tried to diagram in this way:

1 2 3 4 5
P,Q,r,s,t
G or F
I or D
PFI / QFD / rGD

I tried:

1 2 3 4 5

D D

and

1 2 3 4 5

G G G F F

But looks like none of my diagrams work! :evil:

cyruswhittaker
Thanks Received: 107
Forum Guests

This post thanked 2 times.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q17

by cyruswhittaker Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:46 pm

This game is a 3D Numbered Ordering game. We need to deal with the position, the planes, and the domestic/international characterstic of the plane.

The rules tie together nicely to allow for a useful sequencing chain:

PI--RD--QD

So only two planes are uncertain: S and T. We do not know if they are domestic or international. However, we do know that they are Getaway planes. As a result since Q is domestic, we can determine that both S and T depart before Q, by rules 6 and 5.

Thus, that means that Q MUST be last (an inference that is tested directly on number 16).

#17: We are given a condition: S departs third. I found it useful to draw out a quick skeleton diagram with the information we have: S in 3 and QD in 5. Notice there is only one space between S and Q and there are two spaces preceding S. Always be aware of the immediate limitations: a question in a game MUST address a point of limitation in some way. In this question, it turns out to be a space limitation. Choice (C) is thus correct. S can't depart before R and T. Again, there's only one other space between S and Q, so S could only depart before one of R and T at the most.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

by giladedelman Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Yet another great explanation, Cyrus!

jiyoonsim
Thanks Received: 8
Forum Guests

by jiyoonsim Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I got over-posessed by international and domestic part. I always feel like idiot when doing games, and even after reading the explanation I feel more like idiot, thinking "how come I could not see that?!?!" :evil:

steves
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by steves Fri May 01, 2015 2:20 pm

I understand Cyrus' explanation why C is correct. Should I first be going through A and B to eliminate them as could be true--which takes a lot of time--or is Cyrus' point something I should have been looking for to first target C as the correct answer before going through trial and error to eliminate earlier answers?

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 308
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by rinagoldfield Sun May 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi Steves,

Generally what “must be” true is easier to identify than what “could be” true or false. As a result, you want to look for the “must be” answer choices in LG, whether that means finding your right “must be true” answer or, say, eliminating your four wrong “must be false” answer choices. On a must be true question, no need to eliminate “could be false” answer choices once you have found the “must be true” statement.

Best,
Rina

steves
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by steves Mon May 11, 2015 11:35 am

rinagoldfield Wrote:Hi Steves,

Generally what “must be” true is easier to identify than what “could be” true or false. As a result, you want to look for the “must be” answer choices in LG, whether that means finding your right “must be true” answer or, say, eliminating your four wrong “must be false” answer choices. On a must be true question, no need to eliminate “could be false” answer choices once you have found the “must be true” statement.

Best,
Rina

Thanks, Rina--but I'm still not sure how to use this advice to make solutions more efficient. When you note that I should look for the correct "must be" false answer, whether that means finding the one "must be false" answer or eliminating the four could or must be true answers--that is exactly my question: Whether it is more efficient for me to start eliminating wrong answers--starting with (A) and (B)--until I come upon the correct answer (C), or is I should first set out to identify (C) as the correct answer, as Cyrus seems to have done, without eliminating wrong answers first? I know I should not be eliminating wrong answers once I have found the correct answer.

Steve

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by tommywallach Tue May 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Hey Steve,

POE is always safer, so assuming you have enough time, you should always do POE.

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com