Q16

kc81144
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q16

by kc81144 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Can someone clarify for me why (A) is wrong and (C) is clearly better?

I thought (A) might have been correct since the way the author talked about Haffer's hypothesis seemed to match the wording of the answer choice ["a compelling explanation" (line 34) = intriguing, and "appears to explain the distribution of species as well as the unusual species diversity" (line 45-57) = complete].

I was hesitant to choose (C) even though it seemed to match closely with the first sentence of the last paragraph because "influential effect" felt a bit too strong in describing the impact of Haffer's hypothesis on current research.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q16

by maryadkins Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 am

I certainly see you point. But (A) is still more extreme than the text"”"complete" is an absolute term. I would be wary of it as soon as I read it and look for a better answer. (Although I agree with you that it's attractive. If (C) weren't there I'd choose it.)

(C) is supported by the last paragraph, as you note. "Influential effect" is supported by the hypothesis having "led other researchers" to act.

You had the right idea"”look for language that's too extreme"”but just applied it in the reverse way! For the record, if something has an effect on something else, in LSAT-land we can say it has "influenced" it.

(B) is unsupported. We don't know if it's correct or not.

(D) is off because it's (arguably) better than Sanders' theory at accounting for the distribution of species, not the low rate of species extinction.

(E) is contradicted by lines 45-47.

phoebster21
Thanks Received: 5
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by phoebster21 Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:27 am

I'm not sure if this is a good way to necessarily go about these questions, but I noticed that the author chimes in with a "but" in lines 48. When the author includes a word like "but," or "however," etc., right after discussing the merits of one position, it usually is to indicate some inherent flaw or weakness or qualification to that position.

Therefore, when answer choice A said "complete," I figured it wasn't fully complete or the author wouldn't have stuck his big but in there. :mrgreen:

aaronwfrank
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by aaronwfrank Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:33 pm

maryadkins Wrote:I certainly see you point. But (A) is still more extreme than the text"”"complete" is an absolute term. I would be wary of it as soon as I read it and look for a better answer. (Although I agree with you that it's attractive. If (C) weren't there I'd choose it.)

(C) is supported by the last paragraph, as you note. "Influential effect" is supported by the hypothesis having "led other researchers" to act.

You had the right idea"”look for language that's too extreme"”but just applied it in the reverse way! For the record, if something has an effect on something else, in LSAT-land we can say it has "influenced" it.

(D) is off because it's (arguably) better than Sanders' theory at accounting for the distribution of species, not the low rate of species extinction.

I chose not to pick C because of the term "current research." No where is it stated in the stimulus that this research is taking place now. I'm certain I'm not the only person to do this. Might be something you want to add to your original post here.

bobm124
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by bobm124 Sat May 27, 2017 9:00 pm

aaronwfrank Wrote:
maryadkins Wrote:I certainly see you point. But (A) is still more extreme than the text"”"complete" is an absolute term. I would be wary of it as soon as I read it and look for a better answer. (Although I agree with you that it's attractive. If (C) weren't there I'd choose it.)

I chose not to pick C because of the term "current research." No where is it stated in the stimulus that this research is taking place now. I'm certain I'm not the only person to do this. Might be something you want to add to your original post here.

Same reason I eliminated C. Just because "their research suggests that climatic disturbances help account for the splendid diversity of the Amazon rain forest TODAY," doesn't mean that the research is occurring today, or "current," just that diversity is.

Any explanation from anyone?

Edit: ok...might have answered my own question. I had to dig into my old grammar book though.

The passage says Haffer's hypothesis "HAS LED other researchers to gauge the effects of climatic changes..."

So "has led" = the present perfect tense. This tense indicates either that an action was completed at some point in the past or that the action extends to the present.

Thoughts?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Mon May 29, 2017 9:32 pm

You are correct (and impressive research)!

Present perfect implies a continued effect into the present.