chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

Q16

by chike_eze Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:23 pm

rishisb Wrote:Q16 asks for us to describe the "primary purpose" of the passge; and, Q17 asks us to tell what the "main idea" of the passage. I answered Q17 correctly (B), but I missed the question 16 when I selected answer choice A, which basically restated my answer choice in Q17.

I chose the same options for 16 and 17, A and B respectively. I was also stumped on why 16 is B not A.

Wow, the "prey at a distance" is so subtle... I considered B for a bit, but A sounded more complete, but of course I overlooked the last three words.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q16

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:47 am

We're asked to identify the primary purpose of the passage. Let's look at the passage organization to help us with this.

The passage is divided into two long paragraphs.

1. introduces a phenomenon (nerve endings on the bill of the platypus)
2. provides a use for the phenomenon (locate prey while underwater)
3. provides evidence for that hypothesis (Bohringer's research)
4. points to a weakness in the evidence (locate prey at a distance)
5. fixes the weakness with additional research (Scheich's research)

Looking back at what's happening in the passage, it should be clear that the passage was designed to support the second point - that the platypus uses its bill to locate prey. Answer choice (A) is really close, but it's too narrow. It focuses just on locating prey at a distance (2nd paragraph), when it should focus on locating prey underwater in general.

While answer choice (B) seems very distant, "present some recent scientific research...," that's fine, since the author's voice is never committed to the view. The author keeps a distance and present the findings as the scientists' own and never agrees nor disagrees.

(C) is incorrect. The passage does not assess results. The author remains a presenter, rather than an evaluator.
(D) represents only the 2nd paragraph.
(E) is not purpose of the passage. Describing pores would only be subsidiary to describing the use of the platypus' bill.

Hope that helps!