Q16

avironstyl
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

PT 38, S2, Q16; It can be determined...

by avironstyl Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:56 am

Hi
Just wondering how you solve these determine which of the following will allow you to know everyones position questions fast!! Ie without going through every scenario

Any tips or strategies?

Thanks

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: PT 38, S2, Q16; It can be determined...

by bbirdwell Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 pm

These do tend to be a bit time consuming. First things first, go as fast as possible on the other questions so you have a little extra time for one like this.

One potential strategy is to look at the mechanisms of the game and evaluate answer choices in order based on how you think the game works, rather than straight from A to E.

For example, here, I is a total wild card. There appears to be some wiggle room in how W, X, and I are arranged, all depending on the conditional constraint: Xsales --> Wproduction. So I cut straight to a choice that included I and played on that conditional statement. Notice how (C), (D), and (E) all do this.
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

vincentsallan
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Re: Q16

by vincentsallan Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:51 pm

I was wondering why answer choice A) is incorrect.

I now get why E is the correct answer but I cannot explain away A) for some reason.

S: H, Y, G
M: X
P: F, W, I

That doesn't seem to violate any rules does it? H is in the same department as Y, F is in a different department than G, and Feng is in a production position. The only issue is the conditional. If I'm not terribly mistaken, just because W is in production does not mean that X has to be in sales (that would be an incorrect reversal), only that if we're told X is sales, then W would be in production.

Even so

S: H, Y, X
M: G
P: F, W, I doesn't violate.

Is it just that G and X are interchangeable here thus not giving us a full determination?

Thank you.

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q16

by bbirdwell Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:55 am

You're right. Since both of those work, you cannot determine where all seven people are, can you?

Just plug it in and see how far you get:

M: __
P: W F __
S: H Y __

We don't know where anyone else has to go. So that's it. Can't determine all seven. Eliminate and move on...
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm