Q16

KayM793
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q16

by KayM793 Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand the second rule that "any two birds that are both of the same sex and of the same kind as each other cannot be caged together." Does it mean as long as the two birds are in different genders AND in different kind, they can be caged together, i.e., besides Q, R, any one of them can do?? Also, why is the answer D instead of E? I feel both answers are the same. R/S are of the same kind in the same gender, it doesn't really matter which one is chosen??

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q16

by ohthatpatrick Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 pm

"Any" is a conditional trigger word that indicates the left side (sufficient condition). It works like "If".

So that rule is saying,
"IF two birds are the same sex and same kind, THEN they can't be caged together."

So none of QRS can ever be caged together. (since there are only 2 cages, we know that we'll always have at least one of these three exhibited)

JK can never be caged together.
TW can never be caged together.

If Q is in a cage, then we know that R or S must be exhibited (we only have two cages, and none of QRS can be in the same cage).

And since T is in a cage, the female option for R or S must be W.

So we know RW or SW must be exhibited.

If S is exhibited, it'll trigger the conditional rule, so I'd investigate that one:
S --> ~J and ~W

Oh, wait. If S is in, W is out. S and W can never be a pair.

Thus, RW must be exhibited.

Hope this helps.

KayM793
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q16

by KayM793 Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 pm

It helps a lot! Thanks!