Q16

dontmesswmeow
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q16

by dontmesswmeow Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:48 am

I managed to get this one correct after timing and yet it took so long for me to finish solving it.

What would be the shortcut or faster way to approach this question?

Just making hypotheticals with each answer?

Thanks in advance!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q16

by ohthatpatrick Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm actually able to get rid of all the wrong answers by looking at the work I did for Q14.

In Q14, my diagram had
F | M | P set in stone

And then I showed on my page that R was in a cloud between 1 and 2
Which I'll w
F (R/ | /R) M | P

And my work showed that SH had to be in 1 and 2, such that S was either with H or after it.

F (R/ | /R) M | P

S ---->
H

So looking at the answers and referencing that work I was thinking
(A) No, can't do that. That forces S to be BEFORE H in spot 1.

(B) Sure, FSH | RM | P

(C) Sure, FRH | SM | P

(D) Sure, FR | HSM | P

(E) Sure, FH | RSM | P

If you didn't have previous work, then, yes, it's basically a plug and chug question. The key to doing it THAT way is to realize it's all about "Who's Left".

1. Put a copy of the roster, FHMPRS, right by Q16 so your eyes don't have to look far.

2. Put a "2" above or below the answer choices, to show your brain, "This is group 2".

3. Put a "1" to the left of the answer choices and a "3" to the right, to represent group 1 and group 2.

4. Now the answer choices are already filling in group 2, and you just need to write "Who's Left" off to the side of each one and think about who could go in group 1 to the left or group 3 to the right.

Hopefully, you're catching my drift. This typing environment doesn't lend itself to drawing things out.