ebrickm2
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

Q16 - It is not reasonable to

by ebrickm2 Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:31 pm

I know that the term is redefined, I could just feel it, but I don't know by what means it was done...last question for the day, promise!

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q16 - It is not reasonable to

by bbirdwell Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:54 pm

What term do you think is being referred to? Take a look at the argument. What term plays an important role in the conclusion and the evidence, and appears multiple times?
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

by tzyc Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Is it "natural"?
Could you explain (E)? :oops:
Thank you

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 308
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by rinagoldfield Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 am

Hi Tz_strawberry!

"Natural" is indeed the redefined term. Initially, the argument discusses plant naturalness in terms of plant organicness_ i.e. whether or not plants are grown with chemicals. The argument then defines plant naturalness in terms of whether or not the molecular compounds produced by plants are natural. This is a jump! Growing methods and molecular compounds are distinct angles from which to examine plant naturalness.

(A) discusses this redefinition, and is the correct answer.
(B) is out of scope; benefit is not discussed.
(C) is out of scope; authority and the scientific method are not discussed.
(D) is tempting, but only because it is confusing. The argument never lays out necessary conditions for calling a plant "organic," so this can’t be right.
(E) is confusingly worded. It basically says that the argument takes evidence offered in supported of the "organic=natural" argument and reinterprets it. But no actual evidence is ever offered in support of the "organic=natural" argument. If this answer choice were correct, the main argument would have nothing to reinterpret. (E) is out.

coco.wu1993
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by coco.wu1993 Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:07 am

I chose E because I think the argument organic=natural is supported by the fact that the organic are grown without the application of synthetic chemicals. The author reinterprets this and shows that using synthetic chemicals is consistent with being natural. Basically what E says. Any thought?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by maryadkins Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:58 pm

What is the evidence offered in support of organic = natural?

That's the problem. There isn't any. The information about the plant taking up what's in the soil around it is not offered in support of organic = natural. That would have to be true for us even to GET to the reinterpretation question.

The part you're talking about is really just the definition of "organic." And it isn't reinterpreted. Think about it—the person arguing just provides new information to put that definition in context. He or she doesn't actually reinterpret what organic food IS. Organic food is the same. It's NATURAL food is different.

Agree that (E) is confusing though!