Q15

clare.ess
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q15

by clare.ess Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:16 pm

I found this LG section really tough.

Any tips on Must Be True LG questions? I have a hard time distinguishing between Could v. Must Be True answers in LG, especially when I'm finding the answer by diagramming hypotheticals.

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q15

by timmydoeslsat Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm

For global questions, try to use prior work when you can to eliminate answer choices. You can do this by approaching the "if" questions first where you are furnished some information. These previous hypotheticals can help you.

In regard to #15 and this game in general:

We know that we have a distinct order of these talks, they are to be held F-G-H-I-L. We also know that 4 employees go to 2 of the talks, so we really have 8 variables to place in 10 slots. (Five talks can have a maximum of two slots each according to the rules, giving us 10 total slots)

We know that #15 is telling us that no employee is in H. This means we have 2 X's there. This means that the rest of the 8 variables must be used: QRST, QRST.

In the first slot of F, we know that Q and T cannot go there. Q was told by our rules and we know T cannot go there as, according to the rules, T's 1st talk must have Q there. So since Q and T cannot go in F, that means that the other two variables must go there: R and S. That is sufficient to answer this question.

ttunden
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ttunden Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 pm

why cant it be d though? the not blocks at goal sharing are for RS, so QT are the only viable options for this specific problem. D and A can be both proven by sufficiently by the rules and not blocks in the main diagram

Stormexe
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Stormexe Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:34 pm

ttunden Wrote:why cant it be d though? the not blocks at goal sharing are for RS, so QT are the only viable options for this specific problem. D and A can be both proven by sufficiently by the rules and not blocks in the main diagram

I know its been awhile since this was posted, but I struggled with this same issue for awhile before it "clicked" with me. At first glance it does seem like D must also be true.

However, its important to remember that the relevant rule specifies that Quigley attends the first talk Tran attends.

NOT that Tran attends the first talk that Quigley attends (which is how I mistakenly read it, and thus it seemed like D had to be true).

So, remembering our correct rule: 1st T -> Q

We can have: RS, QS, QT, RT (As F,G,I,L respectively) which does not violate any rule.

Hope that helps!