Q15

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Q15

by noah Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 pm

15. If you follow the inference chain there's actually only two possibilities...

Start with putting T in the P column and closing off that column to other cities. Add P to the T column.

Now consider M since it's the most limited city. It can't connect with H (because it would have to connect with T as well) and it can't connect with P because of the question's condition. So we're left with V or T. Note that and move on to H.

H can't connect with P because of the question's condition and can never connect with M or T, so it's left connecting with V. Add H to V's column and V to H's column. Since any city that connects with H must connect with T, throw a V in T's column and a T in V's column.

We're left considering T and V. T already has P and V, and it may receive M. V already has H and T, and may receive M. Looking at the answer choices, we are looking for one that utilizes the flexibility in where we put M. The only one that correctly does that is (D).

indyyork
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q15

by indyyork Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:07 pm

We're left considering T and V. T already has P and V, and it may receive M. V already has H and T, and may receive M. Looking at the answer choices, we are looking for one that utilizes the flexibility in where we put M. The only one that correctly does that is (D).

Hi Noah, I have a question about T column , where T has P and V.

I was looking at the last constraint that says
if PT--->then -PV

so, can P and V be in (T) column? or the condition only applies to (P) column!

I think I just got it by looking at my explanation! Well I hope this question will help clear this condition for those who are like me got confuse with this constraint, assigning letters on the diagram.

Thanks Anyway!

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q15

by timmydoeslsat Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:33 pm

You can have both P and V in the T column. The rule in question is telling us that we cannot have both T and V in the P column.