Q15

rachue
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q15

by rachue Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:50 am

Hi, I can't seem to understand why D is the better answer here over C. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks.

ilona11223344
Thanks Received: 12
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q15

by ilona11223344 Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi!
Here is my view on it:

D) is supported by lines 43-52 where the author talks about how New Women pursued innovation by modifying the form of the sentimental novel to make room for their form of the new novel - this matches almost word by word to the answer

C) is mentioned in regard to 'local colorists' in lines 13-20 but the question is asking about the work of the New Women - so that's why the answer wouldn't work

Hope this helps!

farhadshekib
Thanks Received: 45
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

trophy
Most Thanked

by farhadshekib Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:25 pm

ilona11223344 Wrote:Hi!
Here is my view on it:

D) is supported by lines 43-52 where the author talks about how New Women pursued innovation by modifying the form of the sentimental novel to make room for their form of the new novel - this matches almost word by word to the answer

C) is mentioned in regard to 'local colorists' in lines 13-20 but the question is asking about the work of the New Women - so that's why the answer wouldn't work

Hope this helps!

Also, (C) is problematic in that it uses the word "inevitably" meaning always.

However, the passage does not suggest that this is always the case; rather, as the poster above pointed out, it is discussing one case (i.e. the colorist) where social customs (i.e. diminishing 'women's culture) 'lead to changes in literary techniques.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 1 time.

by giladedelman Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Good explanations! Just to tie it up:

(D) is supported especially when the passage tells us that the New Women experimented with technique "in an effort to explore hitherto unrecorded aspects of female consciousness." So we have an example of a technical innovation being motivated by writers' desire to describe previously ignored aspects of reality. We could generalize from this example to support answer (D).

(A) is out pretty much in every way: passionate, engaged style; effect social change; scientific style; all of these are out of scope here.

(B) is out because there's no suggestion of anybody regretting anything.

(C) is about because 1) "inevitably" is too extreme and 2) in fact, we don't have changes in social customs leading to innovations; what we have are innovations that seek to describe something that hasn't previously been described.

And (E) is incorrect because "extreme psychological states" is totally out of scope.

matthughes2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by matthughes2 Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:49 pm

giladedelman Wrote:And (E) is incorrect because "extreme psychological states" is totally out of scope.

That's not true. Lns. 31-37 say that she found a way to use the conventions of local colorists to depict "extreme psychological states" without "the excesses of the sentimental novels" and "in an uninflected manner". E) (full disclosure, I chose E as my answer) fails because it says that "writers can MOST ACCURATELY" depict extreme psychological states in this manner, which *is* out of scope. It's not out of scope because of mentioning extreme psychological states. It just widens the scope out too far (e.g., away from Chopin or the local colorists, to "writers" generally, and then puts too fine a point on the statement by saying it's the best way to depict an E.P.S.

renata.gomez
Thanks Received: 1
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by renata.gomez Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Hello,

just for clarification, if the question had asked about the local colorist instead of the New Women and the word "inevitable" was taken out, would C be more viable? It seems like it would because they were started to enter higher education etc (ln 14-15)

Thank you!

ganbayou
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ganbayou Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:58 pm

will "fictional technique" be used in non-fiction novels too?
Or "fictional" has different meanings?