Q15

Mab6q
Thanks Received: 31
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q15

by Mab6q Wed May 06, 2015 6:28 pm

I wonder if someone could explain why B is a better answer than C. It seems to me that although is ambivalent to Riddle's study. First he praises it, calling it a "notable work", but he follows by saying that it falls short of Abraham's study because it lacks the repertoire analysis. It feels that qualified admiration would better represent Perntikanen's study, considering the author's scope here.
"Just keep swimming"

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q15

by ohthatpatrick Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:13 pm

You are correct. (B) is the correct answer.

Our textual support is basically lines 43-48, particularly these attitudinal tidbits:
"present a very clear picture"
"unfortunately ... contains little repertoire analysis"

(A) WHOLEHEARTED? This doesn't capture the 'unfortunately' part.

(B) Yup! Qualified here doesn't mean "I'm qualified to admire you". It means "I admire you, with one qualification (exception / qualm)." Qualified disapproval would sound like this: "Mustard is gross. Well, most mustard is gross. Honey mustard is pretty good." correct answer

(C) Ambivalence definitely captures the idea of some positive, some negative. I'm not sure where we justify uneasy. The difference between (B) and (C) is mainly this: "Does the author have an overall positive feeling about Abraham's book (B) or can the author not make up his mind?" In the context of the passage, the author has been highlighting a deficiency: too few books deal with biographical info on female folklorists. Abraham's book is brought up as part of a handful of examples of author's who go AGAINST this negative trend. Since the author brings up Abraham as an example of someone "righting the ship", the author's little complaint at the end is not meant to taint Abraham overall.

(D) EXTREME is too extreme. Go figure. Skepticism is pretty much unsupported as well.

(E) Trenchant means "insightful, cutting" criticism. This also skews too negative.