Thank you.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q15 - In a large residential building

by maryadkins Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 am

This is a necessary assumption question.

The core is:

only goes to majority vote if obtains 10 percent of tenants' signatures

-->

must have gone to majority vote and been voted down

The assumption here is that the petition had 10% of tenants' signatures. If it DIDN'T, the conclusion doesn't work at all; it would not have gone to majority vote. This is (A).

(B) states the opposite of (A). If this is true, the argument doesn't work. They needed to have obtained ten percent.

(C) is incorrect because they needed to obtain 10 percent, but certainly could have obtained more. If they got more signatures, it wouldn't be true that 90% is against the petition.

(D) is not in there at all. We're talking about 10% of signatures on a petition and getting to majority vote. The rule in the stimulus was voted down.

(E) if we don't have 10% then it will be voted down by majority? No, this is not in there.

I hope this clarifies!

WaltGrace1983
Thanks Received: 207
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q15 - In a large residential building

by WaltGrace1983 Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:22 pm

I'll add my own thoughts on this too.

(B) Let's say we take this as true. In doing so, how would we ever know that the petition was voted down by the majority?! The stimulus already tells us that if the vote is put to a majority then there absolutely must have been 10% of signatures obtained. Take the contrapositive of that premise and you get if ~10% obtained → ~the vote put to a majority. In other words, "if less than 10 percent of the tenants were obtained on the pet lovers' petition," then we have no idea what happens and we cannot get to the argument's conclusion.

(C) Another thing wrong with this is that there is a gap between being against something and not signing the petition. One could be against signing something but still sign the petition. This happens all the time in presidential campaigns. You could be against candidate X but you are somewhat more against candidate Y so you vote for X. Perhaps the tenants are picking the lesser of two evils.