b91302310
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q15 - Economist: Some policymakers believe

by b91302310 Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I think answer (A) is safe but not specific. I was wondering why answer (D) is incorrect?

Could anyone explain it?

Thanks!

aileenann
Thanks Received: 227
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q15 - Economist: Some policymakers believe

by aileenann Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Hello!

So I can see why (D) would be a tempting answer choice - it seems to get to the last part of the argument where the Economist points out that similar programs in the past have not worked.

But if you look carefully at the wording of (D), you'll see that it actually relates to other proposals the current backers had advocated in the past - not necessarily related/similar proposals. So it's entirely out of scope because this argument has nothing to do with the other unrelated programs advocates supported in the past.

tamwaiman
Thanks Received: 26
Forum Guests

trophy
Most Thankful

Re: Q15 - Economist:Some policymakers believe that our

by tamwaiman Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I want to know whether the premise in (A) is an assumption actually: that IF the proposal is implemented, the backers' claim would be true.
Thank you.

magnusgan
Thanks Received: 1
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by magnusgan Tue May 14, 2013 11:30 am

Referring to the post above, where does answer choice (D) mention "other" programs dissimilar from the ones being proposed?

I guess thinking about (A) carefully does bring us to the answer, but (D) is a real trickster. The only reason I would eliminate (D) is for the word "they." We don't know if the other tax incentive programs were backed by the backers of the current proposal. So (D) introduces a very subtle scope shift, which I fell for.

(A):
The premise on which the proposal is based is that more people would put money into their tax free savings accounts. The challenge is that when a similar initiative was attempted in the past, it only resulted in redistribution of moneys and no net increase.

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Fri May 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Hey Magnus,

You're absolutely right, but that's what Aileen said! Answer choice (D) discusses things that the backers of this plan advocated in the past, but we know nothing about the plans they advocated in the past (we don't if the plans they advocated in the past were in any way similar to THESE plans, which have proven not to work).

Otherwise, I agree with everything you wrote!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

kelly
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by kelly Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:20 pm

I was wondering why answer (C) is incorrect?
I was thinking the proposal's implementation is not feasible because, in the past, similar program had tried and failed.

HuiF475
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by HuiF475 Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:08 pm

I still can't understand why A is the right answer, as the first sentence of the stimulus reads: to raise the level of saving money is the goal of the proposal, not a premise, isn't it? so why A is right to say that the author challenges a premise? I would say that she is just challenging this proposal's goal.

tommywallach Wrote:Hey Magnus,

You're absolutely right, but that's what Aileen said! Answer choice (D) discusses things that the backers of this plan advocated in the past, but we know nothing about the plans they advocated in the past (we don't if the plans they advocated in the past were in any way similar to THESE plans, which have proven not to work).

Otherwise, I agree with everything you wrote!

-t

AlexisE386
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by AlexisE386 Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:33 am

kelly Wrote:I was wondering why answer (C) is incorrect?
I was thinking the proposal's implementation is not feasible because, in the past, similar program had tried and failed.

I think to implement the proposal means to carry out this proposal. This proposal can be carried out. It's just that the economist thinks that it will not produce the result which is expected by the backers of this proposal.