Q14

jiyoonsim
Thanks Received: 8
Forum Guests

Q14

by jiyoonsim Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 am

I am a bit surprised that no one asked about this game! Could you please help me with the diagraming? (along with question 14 and 17?) I was thoroughly lost as I tried to diagram in this way:

1 2 3 4 5
P,Q,r,s,t
G or F
I or D
PFI / QFD / rGD

I tried:

1 2 3 4 5

D D

and

1 2 3 4 5

G G G F F

But looks like none of my diagrams work! :evil:

cyruswhittaker
Thanks Received: 107
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q14

by cyruswhittaker Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:46 pm

This game is a 3D Numbered Ordering game. We need to deal with the position, the planes, and the domestic/international characterstic of the plane.

The rules tie together nicely to allow for a useful sequencing chain:

PI--RD--QD

So only two planes are uncertain: S and T. We do not know if they are domestic or international. However, we do know that they are Getaway planes. As a result since Q is domestic, we can determine that both S and T depart before Q, by rules 6 and 5.

Thus, that means that Q MUST be last (an inference that is tested directly on number 16).

#14: Q must be in the fifth position, but any of the other planes can go into slot 2. Thus four of the planes could go second.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

by giladedelman Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Yet another great explanation, Cyrus!

jiyoonsim
Thanks Received: 8
Forum Guests

by jiyoonsim Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I got over-posessed by international and domestic part. I always feel like idiot when doing games, and even after reading the explanation I feel more like idiot, thinking "how come I could not see that?!?!" :evil:

mitchliao
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

by mitchliao Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

I understand how Q-Flyhigh-Domestic needs to be in the last spot and hence there can only be 4 possible planes that could depart in the 2nd spot.

But that doesn't mean that the other plans can in fact be in the 2nd spot without violating any rules.

So is there an efficient way to check that S, T, P, & R can in fact be in the 2nd spot without violating any rules?

This seems like a difficult task because you aren't sure whether S & T are domestic or international.

Any thoughts on this?

codyhoman27
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by codyhoman27 Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:46 pm

I understand that Q is last and that P, S, and T can all be second, but how is are a possibility?

I attached my game set up below- I know I am wrong but I dont understand how R can be second- because it is a domestic flight and dont all international flights depart before all domestic flights, meaning that the earliest R could be is third?

codyhoman27
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by codyhoman27 Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 pm

nevermind! i was making the assumption that there were TWO international flights therefore R couldnt be second, now that i see there could only be one which would allow all but Q to take off second.