SchneiderME01
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q14 - Ethicist: Both ASA and TPA are clot-dissolving agents

by SchneiderME01 Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Question Type: Main Conclusion

Conclusion: The financial saving involved in using ASA over TPA must also be weighte against such considerations (such considerations is borrowed language from the premise which states the relatives of the patients who die simply because they were given the less expensive medicine would be particularly grieved)

A) isn't the conclusion is unsupported by the arguement (extreme word NEVER)
B) Seems just to be stating a fact already stated in the background part of the arguement
D) Seems to be stating another fact that is stated in the background part of the arguement

E) is the answer I choose but correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason this is a wrong answer is because it's more of a premise booster than actually stating the main conclusion?

C) Is the right answer but I'm confused because I thought the conclusion was about a need to look at more than just the financial savings involved in using ASA but this answer choice is looking at TPA instead.

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q14 - Ethicist: Both ASA and TPA are clot-dissolving agents

by timmydoeslsat Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 pm

SchneiderME01 Wrote:Question Type: Main Conclusion

Conclusion: The financial saving involved in using ASA over TPA must also be weighte against such considerations (such considerations is borrowed language from the premise which states the relatives of the patients who die simply because they were given the less expensive medicine would be particularly grieved)

A) isn't the conclusion is unsupported by the arguement (extreme word NEVER)
B) Seems just to be stating a fact already stated in the background part of the arguement
D) Seems to be stating another fact that is stated in the background part of the arguement

E) is the answer I choose but correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason this is a wrong answer is because it's more of a premise booster than actually stating the main conclusion?

C) Is the right answer but I'm confused because I thought the conclusion was about a need to look at more than just the financial savings involved in using ASA but this answer choice is looking at TPA instead.

You have the conclusion nailed. We just need to examine the answer choices, particularly C, more closely.

Answer choice C is viewing the coin on its flip side.

The conclusion explicitly stated is that the financial saving involved in using A over T must also be weighed with such considerations.

The phrase "financial saving involved in using A over T" can be expressed in a multitude of ways.

Answer choice C expresses this by saying that the extra expense of T, which is the same thing as saying the phrase above. If A saves money over T, then T is more expensive than A.

The conclusion is about how the considerations of the grieving relatives must be weighed. So C relates to that idea of "cannot be weighed simply by the # of lives saved."

It cannot be weighed simply by that....we also have to weigh the considerations of the grieving relatives.