Q13

bigtree65
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

Q13

by bigtree65 Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:46 pm

I had it down to A and B and didn't like that A had the word arbitrary, also lines 42-45 seem to show support that there was disagreement over the absence of a standard dialect, so why is A the answer?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q13

by maryadkins Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:06 am

The right answer here is (B)! Hope this helps. :)

bigtree65
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

by bigtree65 Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm sorry I wrote that backwards lol, I meant why is A the acceptable choice and B is the answer? The word arbitrary was never in the text

maryadkins
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by maryadkins Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:40 am

We know the second half of (A) works, and while the word "arbitrary" doesn't appear in the text, the first few lines of paragraph 4 support the idea that choosing which language to write down would be an arbitrary decision in the view of the Northern Utes. If there are many languages in a particular community and they don't know which one is to be written down and taught, that means they don't have criteria by which to decide--i.e. it would be arbitrary.

edwinc
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by edwinc Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Could someone explain to me why B is the right answer and not D? Thanks

maryadkins
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 am

We are looking for the statement that the Northern Utes would NOT agree with. (D) is stated nearly word for word in lines 40-42.

(B) uses the word "standard," which is problematic, since we were explicitly told in the passage that the Northern Utes chose not to standardize their language (line 39). (C) and (E) are both supported and are consistent with (D)"”all of these are beliefs that the Northern Utes would be likely to hold.

Hope this helps. Don't miss that "except"!

missbenyamin
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by missbenyamin Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Regarding answer choice "A", I would also add support from lines 45-47 in the passage, which states that "lack of standard orthography made sense in the context of the community's needs" - this provides support for the idea that standardizing languages is "sometimes unnecessary." (If standardizing languages was ALWAYS necessary, I don't think the author would say that a lack of a standard language makes sense, even within a specific, presumably favorable context.)

Also, in terms of the arbitrary choices mentioned in answer choice "A", I believe that answer is referring to the "various phonetic spellings of words" (line 40) - in a standard language, one of these various phonetic spellings would have to be chosen as the default, despite the fact that they all convey the same meaning. The passage provides no support for a reason to choose one spelling over another, and it thus can be inferred that deciding between them would be an arbitrary decision.

Moderators - would you agree or disagree with my analysis?