Q13

joyce.hau
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q13

by joyce.hau Fri May 21, 2010 6:09 am

I just have a follow up question about question 13 in this game.

If Z was the 2nd suspect to confess, then the ordering has to be so:

Y - Z - T - (X,V) - W - S

The question stem asks what could be true EXCEPT. The correct answer is E, "Y did not confess". Why does it have to be true that Y confessed?? I guess there must be something wrong with my set up above, but here's my reasoning. With Z in the 2nd place, that means either X or V has to be in either 4th or 5th place (4th rule), meaning Y can only be in 1st place. Why does it have to be that Y confessed?

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: PT53, S2, G3 Detectives investigating...

by noah Fri May 21, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks for the question. Your diagram for this question is correct but incomplete. Take a look at the diagram I posted earlier -- it's important that you track the Cs and NCs (confessors and non-confessors). For #13, you can infer the following:

C C ? NC C C NC
Y Z T (X V) W S

Since Z has to be the second suspect to confess (not just the second suspect), and it can only go in slots 1 or 2, it must go in slot 2. Who can come before it? Well, not X and V, so it must be Y, and Y must confess since Z is the second confession.

Does that clear it up?

Let me throw you a similar question and see if you can make up a correct answer (and some incorrect ones if you're going for the gold): If V is the suspect who does not confess, each of the following could be true EXCEPT:

Good luck!

joyce.hau
Forum Guests

by joyce.hau Fri May 21, 2010 10:01 am

Z was the second suspect to CONFESS!! Duh. I feel so stupid sometimes. Thanks for clearing that up :-) You're right, if I had tracked the C's and NC's better I would've spotted that immediately.

In answer to your question: If V is the suspect who does NOT confess, he would be in the 4th slot, and X in the 5th. I hope I'm not missing anything else...?

Thanks so much!

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon May 24, 2010 12:05 pm

joyce.hau Wrote:Z was the second suspect to CONFESS!! Duh. I feel so stupid sometimes. Thanks for clearing that up :-) You're right, if I had tracked the C's and NC's better I would've spotted that immediately.

In answer to your question: If V is the suspect who does NOT confess, he would be in the 4th slot, and X in the 5th. I hope I'm not missing anything else...?

Thanks so much!

Oops, I made a mistake. I meant to write, "If V is the third suspect who does not confess." From only V being a suspect who does not confess, you couldn't say much.

yoohoo081
Thanks Received: 9
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by yoohoo081 Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:14 am

noah Wrote:Thanks for the question. Your diagram for this question is correct but incomplete. Take a look at the diagram I posted earlier -- it's important that you track the Cs and NCs (confessors and non-confessors). For #13, you can infer the following:

C C ? NC C C NC
Y Z T (X V) W S

Since Z has to be the second suspect to confess (not just the second suspect), Y must confess before it.

Does that clear it up?

Let me throw you a similar question and see if you can make up a correct answer (and some incorrect ones if you're going for the gold): If V is the suspect who does not confess, each of the following could be true EXCEPT:

Good luck!

Maybe I missed a note somewhere but why can't Y be Confessed??

Yes Z confessed but there are no constraints that says y has to very confessed.
If so ccould you point it out to me please?

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:37 pm

yoohoo081 Wrote:
Maybe I missed a note somewhere but why can't Y be Confessed??

Yes Z confessed but there are no constraints that says y has to very confessed.
If so ccould you point it out to me please?

I went back to my first post and made it a bit more explicit:
noah Wrote:Since Z has to be the second suspect to confess (not just the second suspect), and it can only go in slots 1 or 2, it must go in slot 2. Who can come before it? Well, not X and V, so it must be Y, and Y must confess since Z is the second confession.

I hope that clears it up.

geverett
Thanks Received: 79
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q13

by geverett Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:04 pm

I made the same silly mistake of not reading the question prompt correctly. oh well.

dcfaulcon
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by dcfaulcon Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:10 am

What is it in the rules that states who has to confess and who does not confess? I understand that Z confesses based on the rules but what does that have to do with Y confessing or not?

dcfaulcon
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by dcfaulcon Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:14 am

Never mind, I see it second to confess meaning whatever came before it confessed also.