Q13

hamham
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q13

by hamham Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 am

I am very lost on this one. How is D a right answer? I get lost in these types of questions ("Suppose...").

Olivia James
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q13

by Olivia James Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Hello -

As always the best way to answer RC questions is to find support in the passage.

After I read these type of questions in where they give you a scenario, the first thoughts that go through my mind are- "where in the passage do I remember them mentioning something like this or where could I find support for this in the passage?" If I could not immediately pinpoint an answer to this question I look through the answer choices.

That is exactly what I did - As I was reading through the answer choices I realized that the passage does lend some support in regard to a researcher who wants to conduct noncommercial research -> in Paragraph 4!
L 51-54. "There has been a tradition among judges deciding patent cases to respect a completely noncommercial research exception to patent infringement."
Exactly articulated in answer choice D. If a researcher is sued for infringing upon a company's patent rights while conducting noncommercial research the judges might take note of its non-profit nature and rule in favor of the academic researcher.

Generally speaking, I find it extremely advantageous to consciously ACTIVELY read the passage. Really concentrate on trying to understand what it means and getting a picture of the overall structure of the passage. Spending that extra minute truly UNDERSTANDING AND COMPREHENDING the passage will make answering the questions so much easier. You will notice how usually 3 out of the 5 answer choices are totally irrelevant and then pick the answer choice that most closely relates to the passage.
I hope this helps-

If you have other questions please let me know!

Good Luck!

Good luck!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q13

by ohthatpatrick Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:00 pm

All hail Olivia! Awesome response.

Since she crushed the pre-phrase, the correct answer choice, the overall good reading habits, and the importance of doing due diligence looking for line references (whenever keywords are available in the question stem), all that's left for me is to tidy up the wrong answer choices.

(A) This seems like it would be the most commonly chosen wrong answer, because 'prohibitively high' appears in line 30-34.

This is a classic wrong answer choice though: wrong point of view

If Q13 had been asked about the academic researchers from Q8 (the ones in lines 30-34), then this would be a good answer.

But the whole structure of this passage was that the author presents the other side of the scale first and then delivers HER side of the scale in the final paragraph.

Whenever a question stem asks what the AUTHOR would be "most likely to agree to", then ask yourself, "In which paragraph(s) did the author's voice reveal itself?"

Here, we could only expect support to come from the final paragraph. Everything in the first two paragraphs was presented at arm's length, attributed to a different mouthpiece. The beginning of the third paragraph is the significant TURNING POINT in the passage when we pivot into hearing the author's voice.

(B) This is the opposite of (D). Choice (B) would be something the author would likely disagree with.

(C) The idea of a university prohibiting a researcher out of fear of a lawsuit not only goes against the "nothin' to fear" gist of (D), but it's also never discussed.

(E) While plausible sounding, there is no mention in the passage of a corporation getting EXCLUSIVE rights to a product, in exchange for letting a noncommerical researcher use a patented cell line of theirs.