tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Q12

by tzyc Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Since it says "have begun" I can see they did not regard folk parformers as people of creativity before 1970s. But isn't it a fact rather than "assumption"?
Or is it because since they did not think (or assume) they played creative roles, they did not regard them as people of creativity and started to regard them differently after they realized their importance?
What's the important thing to keep in mind when we do these assumption questions?
Like LR, find core and find the gap? :|

Thank you

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q12

by tommywallach Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:20 am

Hey Strawberry,

Actually, "assumed" on the LSAT means "What is factually true" based on what you read. So you don't need to interpret the correct answer as some kind of assumption. It can definitely be something stated in the passage as fact (it's just like an LR inference question).

There is no core, of course, so you can't go looking for that. Instead, just look at the first paragraph (the only place we hear about early folklorists), figure out what you know for sure, then start doing POE.

(A) Correct. Folklorists didn't see the singers as creative people, which would mean they didn't see those transmitters of folklore playing a creative role in the development of folklore.

(B) We don't know about the awareness of the folklore transmitters, only the awareness of the folklorists.

(C) We learn nothing about the text changing between generations.

(D) The folklorists did not necessarily assume this; they were simply only interested in studying those kinds of songs and tales.

(E) The last paragraph tells us that later folklorists may have come to this type of conclusion, not the early folklorists.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

krisk743
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q12

by krisk743 Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Isn't A too strong?

I knew that it was the opposite of what the new era thinks, but you can't just assume that they thought it DID NOT PLAY a creative role.

Maybe they did and it was minimal....
That's why I couldn't choose A and chose D. Can anyone clarify?

I usually think my nitpicking is a positive but in RC I feel like it kills me....