mcrittell
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q12 - Most doctors recommend that pregnant

by mcrittell Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Although the other ACs are weak, doesn't C bring in OOS material by talking about the pregnant women who don't eat nutritious meals. I'm not sure how C resolves the med probs of the babies born to women eating nutritious diets.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q12 - Most doctors recommend that pregnant

by noah Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:59 pm

With this argument, we need to resolve this issue:

Doctors recommend pregnant women eat well to have healthier babies, BUT, even the babies born to women that follow this advice still get sick once per year.

What's your natural reaction? Mine (based on having a kid, and a wife who eat a nutritious diet) is that I'm surprised that "at least one sickness" is mentioned - babies get sick! Maybe the women who don't eat well have babies that get sick a lot more often than the babies born to women that eat well.

(C) addresses this issue, and allows us to accept both the doctor's recommendations and the fact about the babies still getting sick. Since the argument has a comparison built in (nutritious diet babies vs. non-nutritious diet babies), (C) is not out of scope.

As for the wrong answers:

(A) is comparing before and after birth diets - out of scope.

(B) is the opposite of what would resolve this discrepancy!

(D) is out of scope - we're not comparing illness severity, but the number of illnesses.

(E) is out of scope. Who cares when and if they reaffirmed their recommendation? This is tempting if you thought that perhaps its relevant whether the doctors still believe what they said - but we're to accept their recommendation since it's a premise!

cdjmarmon
Thanks Received: 0
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by cdjmarmon Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:49 am

I too got rid of C becuase I saw it as out of scope. I did see it as a good strengthen answer though. Which further made me get rid of it because I saw it as more of a trick answer that sounds appealing but wouldnt resolve the paradox.

Im curious where the comparison between the healthy eating and non healthy eating mothers is at?

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:30 pm

cdjmarmon Wrote:I too got rid of C becuase I saw it as out of scope. I did see it as a good strengthen answer though. Which further made me get rid of it because I saw it as more of a trick answer that sounds appealing but wouldnt resolve the paradox.

Im curious where the comparison between the healthy eating and non healthy eating mothers is at?

The stimulus discusses a recommendation that pregnant women eat a nutritious diet, and the discrepancy is that their babies still get sick. So, discussing those pregnant women that don't eat that diet is within scope. It's like me suggesting that people study for the LSAT with a hat on. If you want to evaluate that in some way, it's totally reasonable to bring in the topic of people that study for the LSAT without a hat on.

(C) does strengthen the recommendation, and it does that in great part by neutralizing the possible counter premise (that the babies of the nutritious-diet moms get sick).

That make sense now?