willaminic
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Q12 - Clothes made from natural fibers

by willaminic Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 am

Can anyone explain why A is wrong??? For the stimulus never mentioned anything about the artificial fibers' original state though, so how come E is right? HELP Please:) Thank you in advance.

patrice.antoine
Thanks Received: 35
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q12 - Clothes made from natural fibers

by patrice.antoine Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:22 pm

willaminic Wrote:Can anyone explain why A is wrong??? For the stimulus never mentioned anything about the artificial fibers' original state though, so how come E is right? HELP Please:) Thank you in advance.

I'll try and answer :D

This is a must be true/inference question. A is wrong because the stimulus mentions nothing about "low temperatures" and its not in our jurisduction to assume anything outside of what is stated in the prompt. The prompt only mentions the effects high temperature has on fibers. It mentions nothing about low temperatures.

E is right because it indirectly correlates artificial fibers with straight fibers. The first sentence states that natural fibers (unlike artificial fibers) often shrinks in high temperature. This would suggest that artifical fibers do the exact opposite to natural fibers when encountered with heat: it does not shrink. It also goes on to mention that all clothing fibers return to their original state when in high temperature and that manufactures require all their fibers to be straight.

So since we know that manufactures require straight fibers for all their cloth and that artifiical fibers do not shrink in high temperature, it must be true that artificial fibers are straight fibers in its original state.

I hope I made some sense!

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q12 - Clothes made from natural fibers

by noah Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:44 pm

I think Patrice nailed it!

If hot water makes all fibers return to their natural state, and clothes made from artificial fibers don't shrink, it must be that whatever causes the natural ones to shrink isn't happening with the artificial ones. Thus we can infer (E).

(A) is incorrect since we don't know about low temperatures - this is an issue of degree that is unsupported. Perhaps low temperatures have no effect.

(B) is unsupported - we never hear about blends.

(C) is out of scope. Stretching? Too many leaps needed to get to that...

(D) is crazy talk! How would we know that?