Q11

ap1612
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q11

by ap1612 Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:43 am

Could you please help with this question? I'm struggling to understand why C is the correct answer, while A isn't. I can't find any traces in the passage that discuss Cameron's relation to her fancy-subject as "grandeur" and out of "ordinary objects."

Answer A seems to be more supported, for example in "comical conditions" (p.5), "theatricality and artificiality" (p. 23), and "we're always aware of the photograph's doubleness" (p. 37) -- all seem to imply that she created a distance between viewers and subjects in her work by adding realistic elements.

Thank you!

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q11

by maryadkins Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Excellent question!

Well to be honest I as also torn between (A) and (C). (A) is very tempting. And I think the way to ultimately get rid of it is by noting the intention of Cameron. Lines 14-16 tell us that she intended to make seamless works of art. (A) says that she did it on purpose.

(C) is supported by the final paragraph, which talks about how her work had a certain artistry about it, a "special quality."

I hope this helps clarify.

As for the others:

(B) is off because of "subvert."
(D) brings up functionality, which is not the point.
And (E) doesn't relate to what is written about Cameron at all. She doesn't use ordinary people in order to make it seem like a kind of art that it isn't.

haeeunjee
Thanks Received: 15
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

This post thanked 4 times.

by haeeunjee Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:43 pm

TLDR: The film director wants to highlight ordinariness. Cameron wants to transcend ordinariness.

(E) is actually really tricky and warrants a longer response. I thought about the ordinary sitters in relation to the ordinary actors. And thought about the "appearance" of a documentary" as Cameron's attempt at an "appearance" of scenes from the Bible and dramas and myths. Both would have an awkward but perhaps comical/charming quality.

The reason why I think (E) is wrong is because it's really, really important to understand what Cameron's motive was in creating her art. It was to "[make] seamless works of illustrative art" (ln. 15-16). This means that she did not - on purpose - try to be funny or ironic or quirky. Or highlight the fact that the sitters and props are ordinary and amateur. She's trying to transcend these things and have a seamless work that illustrates the themes/scenes of myth, Bible, and Shakespeare. (In fact, this whole desire/motive vs. actual result of Cameron's work is highlighted in the Main Purpose question - "the tension between Cameron's aims and the results of her works enhances the works' aesthetic value.")

(E) describes a film maker who purposefully chooses ordinary people because she is trying to make a film that will have the appearance of a documentary (a mockumentary? a realistic film?). The ordinariness of the people is exactly why these people were chosen. Cameron, on the other hand, would probably have loved the chance to get some sitters who actually look like princely Hamlet or a virginal Mary (instead of that pimply stableboy or that not-so-virginal kitchen maid).

Hope this helps someone who also chose E over C!

bswise2
Thanks Received: 4
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by bswise2 Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Can someone assist me with why D is incorrect?

We know that Cameron intended to create "seamless works of illustrative art" (line 16), which is a reasonable and general goal of most photography, is it not? The passage says that if she had succeeded in her goal, "her work would be among the curiosities of Victorian photography" (line 17), implying that this was a general characteristic of Victorian photography. So if she was aiming to meet this characteristic, her goals conformed somewhat to results of other photographers.

The goals of architecture vary, but it is safe to say that functionality is one of these goals. D gives us an architect who desires to meet said goal in his designs.

So we have Cameron, a photographer trying to meet one of the goals of photography and then we have an the architect in D, a man/woman who designs his/her buildings to meet one of the goals of architecture.

While D does not give us the result of the architect's work, we know that his/her intent was to achieve functionality. Even though we do know Cameron's result, we also know that her intent was to achieve "seamless works of illustrative art."

To me, C is flipped. Cameron did not obtain anything "large" or "grandeur." The author notes the "special quality" in her amateurism and artistry. In fact, its the amateurism that the author takes delight in. Where does "grandeur" come in?

Thanks in advance!

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by andrewgong01 Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:11 pm

bswise2 Wrote:Can someone assist me with why D is incorrect?

We know that Cameron intended to create "seamless works of illustrative art" (line 16), which is a reasonable and general goal of most photography, is it not? The passage says that if she had succeeded in her goal, "her work would be among the curiosities of Victorian photography" (line 17), implying that this was a general characteristic of Victorian photography. So if she was aiming to meet this characteristic, her goals conformed somewhat to results of other photographers.

The goals of architecture vary, but it is safe to say that functionality is one of these goals. D gives us an architect who desires to meet said goal in his designs.

So we have Cameron, a photographer trying to meet one of the goals of photography and then we have an the architect in D, a man/woman who designs his/her buildings to meet one of the goals of architecture.

While D does not give us the result of the architect's work, we know that his/her intent was to achieve functionality. Even though we do know Cameron's result, we also know that her intent was to achieve "seamless works of illustrative art."

To me, C is flipped. Cameron did not obtain anything "large" or "grandeur." The author notes the "special quality" in her amateurism and artistry. In fact, its the amateurism that the author takes delight in. Where does "grandeur" come in?

Thanks in advance!

i am not very sure on this one either but you convinced me more about "D". I get the feeling that by function, "D" is referring to something as utilitarian as possible like conrecte slabs to make a boring building. But that was not the goal of the artist. In fact, had she succeeded in the "seemless" work of art goal on line 16 the author of the passage then states it would be "extraageangtly awaful) (i.e. too ostentatious). This would run directly counter to trying to acheive something that is as utilitarian (i.e. boring) as possible.

I agree with you on "C" that grandeur was confusing and that's why I elminated "C" for "E". However, from hindishgt the choice says "a certain grandeur" so it does not have to be the usual cliche meaning of grandeu (something grand, ostentatious etc); rather it can just be some feature that stands out because it is "good". The author of the passage clearly finds something "good" and "stands" out about her work for art and hence I think that's how the use of the word grandeur is justified . So I think what you cited earlier about what the author takes delight in is the grandeur.

My prephase for this question was "use something ordinary and creates some sort of imperfection but the imperfections are good" and only "C" and "E" address something about the "ordinary"... That said I still like choice "E" but I guess "E" is a bit too extreme in that a documentary could imply a realist and edited footage of what really happened and you are able to actively modify what is in the final product.

snoopy
Thanks Received: 19
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by snoopy Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 am

bswise2 Wrote:While D does not give us the result of the architect's work, we know that his/her intent was to achieve functionality. Even though we do know Cameron's result, we also know that her intent was to achieve "seamless works of illustrative art."

Thanks in advance!

You're associating "functionality" with achievement of "seamless works of illustrative art." She's trying to create amateur photography which isn't functional, and nowhere in the passage is functionality of her photography mentioned. Just the artistry and aesthetic appeal of it.

Regarding your comment about C - the "grandeur" is the charm, the "special quality" that line 44 mentions. The "amateurism" (line 46) is like C's mention of the sculptor's work using ordinary objects. The passage also details (line 47-50) the ordinary objects that Cameron used to create that "special quality," that "grandeur."

Hence, C is correct.