Q11

rachue
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q11

by rachue Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:50 am

Hi,

I narrowed this down to A and B and am trying to figure out why A is the better choice. I'd appreciate any help!

farhadshekib
Thanks Received: 45
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

trophy
Most Thanked

Re: Q11

by farhadshekib Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:04 pm

rachue Wrote:Hi,

I narrowed this down to A and B and am trying to figure out why A is the better choice. I'd appreciate any help!

In lines 4-10, the author discusses the bulk of fiction of the mid-19th C: "authors employed elevated, romantic language to portray female characters whose sole concern was to establish their social positions through courtship and marriage"

In the start of P2, the author states: "After 1865, what had traditionally been regarded as 'women's culture' began to dissolve as women entered higher education, the professions, and the political world in greater numbers".

This suggests that the women culture that began to dissolve was one that primarily emphasized domesticity for women.

Lines 23-28 provide further support for this...

G luck.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

by giladedelman Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:27 pm

Yes, good explanation. The key is that women's culture dissolved as women entered the wider world. So "women's culture" probably refers to the world of the home, i.e., domestic experiences.

(B) is unsupported because "regional customs" suggests customs that varied from place to place. But the passage doesn't give any indication of that.

JinZ551
Thanks Received: 3
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by JinZ551 Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:31 pm

so the key to crack this question is the word "primarily"