Q11

T.housman31
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q11

by T.housman31 Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Can someone explain why B is correct? I chose C for some reason thinking it was more parallel, but I just dont get it!

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: PT 52, S4, Q11 - the phrase "scholarly monographs sap the

by noah Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 pm

First step is to identify the role of lines 6-7. The role that phrase plays is to characterize the academic style of writing as used in history.

In the second passage, (B) does the same thing.

(A) is not a description of the writing, but a placement of writing within the craft.
(C) discusses how lawyers end up writing this way, but it doesn't describe actually how they write.
(D) is not describing the writing but the role of the writing.
(E) is a suggestion on how to improve things -- not a description.

Does that help?

tommyid1
Thanks Received: 3
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q11

by tommyid1 Tue May 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Noah. However, I see choice B as being correct for a different reason. Please let me know your thoughts.

I don't see the line referred to in B as a criticism. The second passage says, "Legal writing, because of the purposes it serves, is necessarily ruled by..." and then states the line referred to in B.

The line referred to in choice C ends with, "they too often write badly." I think C sounds more like a criticism.

The author of the first passage criticizes academic historians for doing something bad to history. Line B refers to a description of a necessity of legal writing, which isn't bad; it just serves the purpose.

I think B is correct because both lines describe a characteristic of the main issue. Passage A is describing the academic historian approach (involving scholarly monographs) while B is describing legal writing (where conformity is a virtue, creativity suspect, etc...)

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Wed May 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Good points! I think you're right - Passage B isn't serving as a criticism of academic writing as much as detailing how it's come to be that lawyers write in the dry style that they do, and how the push towards narrative writing will fit into this.

I'll go back and edit my explanation a bit. Thanks!

farhadshekib
Thanks Received: 45
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

trophy
Most Thanked

by farhadshekib Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:38 pm

What about this?

if (C) is correct, then (B) would also have to be correct.

(B) is preceded by "legal writing... [leads to a] path without diversions, surprises, or reversals. Conformity is a virtue, creativity suspect, humor forbidden and voice mute".

(C) simply states that "Lawyers write as they see other lawyers write".

But (C) is already incorporated into (B); however, B also describes how conformity impacts legal writing, while (C) does not.

Since we cannot have 2 correct answers, (C) has to be wrong...

Thoughts?

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 am

I like that line of inquiry, but I'm not feeling it on this one.

We're trying to match something that says--basically--that academic writing sucks. (C) is about how this tradition continues, not why it sucks. (B) explains that it sucks.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see (B) incorporating (C).

redcobra21
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by redcobra21 Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses, Noah. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I've got another question about (C).

If you take a look at the line before 6-7 that provides some context, it is clear that the "scholarly monographs" is a response to WHY there is a "perniciousness of the historiographic approach" (because historians require undergrads to read these monographs). Likewise, for (C), it looked like the quoted phrase is a reference to WHY this style of writing exists (because lawyers imitate what other lawyers do).

My question is: for #11, do they literally mean to only consider EXACTLY what is quoted, or do they mean what function the quoted phrase is supposed to play in each text (which is, of course, dependent on context)? If the former, I get why (B) would be correct. But if the latter, I'm not sure why (C) is wrong.

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 pm

redcobra21 Wrote:Thanks for the helpful responses, Noah. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I've got another question about (C).

If you take a look at the line before 6-7 that provides some context, it is clear that the "scholarly monographs" is a response to WHY there is a "perniciousness of the historiographic approach" (because historians require undergrads to read these monographs). Likewise, for (C), it looked like the quoted phrase is a reference to WHY this style of writing exists (because lawyers imitate what other lawyers do).

My question is: for #11, do they literally mean to only consider EXACTLY what is quoted, or do they mean what function the quoted phrase is supposed to play in each text (which is, of course, dependent on context)? If the former, I get why (B) would be correct. But if the latter, I'm not sure why (C) is wrong.

Interesting question.

However, I don't see how the scholarly monographs are explaining how this all came to be. That's not the role of the phrase "scholarly monographs...history." The quoted bit is describing the writing, not how it gets passed around. If the quoted text had been about visiting on students what was visited on them, then I'd be more attracted to (C).