Q11

uhdang
Thanks Received: 25
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q11

by uhdang Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:20 am

This question really dragged me down and ended up spending WAY more than I was supposed to on this passage.. :( While I can point out why wrong answers were wrong, I can't point out exactly what qualifies B) as the answer. I'm going to try reasoning this one, so please share your thoughts on this.

The last part of the third paragraph is mainly concerned with arguing for positive aspects of today's bankruptcy laws designed to ensure stable economy and creditors' benefit.

Let's go through incorrect answers, first.

A) This is way too strong and extreme in my opinion. I thought this sounded a bit threatening. We were focusing on the benefits of today's bankruptcy law, so focusing on "inadequacy" of it sounds unrelated to the flow as well.

C) "criminal law"? Where did that come from?

D) "Future bankruptcy law?" No prospect on the law has been hinted anywhere.

E) This contrast is not supported from the passage. Also, we don't have any lead from the previous portion to focus on creditor vs. debtor contrast with regard to today's vs. antiquated bankruptcy law.

Now, for B), I am guessing there is a connection with the word "goal" because "the ultimate goal" has been mentioned in line 57. And, the first sentence of the paragraph starts with mentioning "shortcomings of the punitive approach." Is this why it's rather "valid", or okay, to talk about the punishment with rather FIRM tone? I just thought it was pretty strong of a sentence when you change a direction of the flow. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

P.S. Does anybody have a hard time typing "bankruptcy?" because you have to move your forefinger from T to C to Y? I kept on misspelling.. :roll:
"Fun"

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q11

by maryadkins Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Nice breakdown!

With you on all fronts. (B) shifts the focus to punitive/the old way but it's the only answer choice that makes any sense to append to the paragraph.

deddiekated
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by deddiekated Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:13 pm

I was between and A and B, but ultimately chose A because in the first paragraph, it talks about "the temptation to return to a focus on punishment of individuals or corporations" and I thought the whole paragraph was trying to argue against such change....and A sounds like, 'therefore, the change won't happen unless current method doesn't make sense anymore. Can anyone correct me on this thought?

Thanks!

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:46 am

deddiekated Wrote:I was between and A and B, but ultimately chose A because in the first paragraph, it talks about "the temptation to return to a focus on punishment of individuals or corporations" and I thought the whole paragraph was trying to argue against such change....and A sounds like, 'therefore, the change won't happen unless current method doesn't make sense anymore. Can anyone correct me on this thought?

Thanks!

We're asked to find an answer that can be most logically be appended to the end of the last paragraph of the passage. The last paragraph is about the purpose and form of modern bankruptcy law. In Reading Comprehension, don't turn to the first paragraph to support an answer that is supposedly about the final paragraph.

In this case, if you feel that answer choice (A) is from the first paragraph and answer choice (B) is from the final paragraph, stick to the answer about the final paragraph.

The final paragraph is about the form and purpose of modern bankruptcy laws, mirrored in answer choice (B).

Hope that helps!

deddiekated
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by deddiekated Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 pm

ahhh, ok that makes alot of sense. Thank you! :)