Sarah.Mansour4
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q11 - Psychologist

by Sarah.Mansour4 Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Can someone break down this question for me?
I chose (C), I read the question without fully comprehending the stimulus.

Any help would be appreciated!

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q11 - Psychologist

by timmydoeslsat Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Sarah.Mansour4 Wrote:Can someone break down this question for me?
I chose (C), I read the question without fully comprehending the stimulus.

Any help would be appreciated!

So we are dealing with a sufficient assumption question stem. We want to prove the conclusion logically.

Our conclusion is that flattery is not the reason for the success of employees being promoted.

Why?

Because the flattery from the employees is so obvious that even those to whom the flattery is directed towards notices the flattery.

As we can see, the author needs a link between that evidence to the conclusion for it to be proven logically.

We want something that says that really noticeable flattery is not successful.

Answer choice C will not do us any good as it talks about flattery that is NOT noticed. This is not going to help us prove our argument regarding flattery that IS noticed.

Answer choice E is perfect. It tells us that when supervisors notice the flattery, it has no influence. Thus, we can now logically conclude that the employee flattery is not responsible for the successful promotions.

ttunden
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ttunden Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 pm

why couldn't the answer be A? if they expect flattery it would prove that flattery is not the reason for promotion since it is expected as a basic principle.

ttunden
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ttunden Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:55 pm

ttunden Wrote:why couldn't the answer be A? if they expect flattery it would prove that flattery is not the reason for promotion since it is expected as a basic principle.

been a couple of years now. Can anyone help?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:27 am

So the assumption here is that if you notice the flattery, it won't be effective at getting you a promotion. That's what we need to see—some version of that—in the correct answer choice. (E) is right on point.

(A) brings in expectation which is different from whether you notice it or not. If you expect it, how does that help us conclude that flattery isn't what is getting people promotions? Maybe supervisors expect it, notice it, and STILL promote based on it.

(B) is irrelevant because it doesn't matter what the Official Guidelines say. The question is whether noticing the blatant flattery means promotions are awarded based on it.

(C) is out of scope too because we're talking about flattery that IS noticeable, which is most flattery.

(D) doesn't actually support our argument so it can't be right!

Hope this clarifies a bit!

sh854
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by sh854 Sun May 31, 2015 12:42 pm

Did I diagram the core correctly?

Flattery is so blatant that it is obvious that you are doing it ----> flattery not the reason for your success

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Good!