Q10

justindebouvier7
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q10

by justindebouvier7 Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:55 am

Although I wouldn't particularly call this question type an inference q, despite the question stem, the answer to this question is quite obvious that it almost seems alarmingly wrong.

We need to find something between the relationship of the African-American population and the law in the Chesapeake Bay region of Virginia in 1650-1670.

Making notations throughout the passage helps pinpoint the answer to this question relatively easily. However, since we just read the passage, the numbers 1650 & 1670 should point to exactly where to look for.

The answer is from lines(44-49). Since we know that the proportion of African-Americans were increasing, we also know that the laws regarding them increased as well. For example, the passage mentions that it increased laws regulating interracial relations and again mentions a statute that bans baptism from changing slave status (1667).

Knowing this we can easily choose answer choice B that states that the percentage of blacks citizens as did the legal restrictions against them.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q10

by ohthatpatrick Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Great response.

I didn't quite follow your hesitation with calling this an Inference question, so if you want to follow up on that, please do.

It seemed like you thought the correct answer was too EXPLICIT to qualify as an Inference? If that's the case, I would say that the second half of (B) is not explicitly in the text, so it qualifies as an inference.

== other answers ==
(A) no support for more gradually ("fake" comparison)
(C) no support for more economic setbacks ("fake" comparison)
(D) "chronic" is extreme and unsupportable ... "labor shortage" is out of scope
(E) no support for more rigid in certain regions ("fake" comparison)