Q10

peg_city
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Q10

by peg_city Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 pm

I understand why E is right now, but why is D wrong?

Thanks Again.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: Q10

by giladedelman Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 pm

The passage says, "In disinterment cases, courts have traditionally affirmed the standing of three classes of plaintiffs: the deceased's heirs, the owner of the property on which the grave is located, and parties, including organizations or distant relatives of the deceased, that have a clear interest in the preservation of a particular grave. "

So, whom would the courts not recognize?

(A) is out because they are the deceased's heirs.

(B) is incorrect because this is the owner of the property.

(C) is incorrect because this is an organization with an interested in the preservation -- and, as the passage mentions, it's "of recent historical origin."

(D) is incorrect because this is a family member.

(E) is correct because this party does not appear to have any of the tribal connections mentioned in the passage. Indeed, by definition, if you're seeking the return of artifacts from disparate tribes, you can't have a direct connection to all of them.

Does that answer your question?

nandy_millette
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by nandy_millette Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:48 pm

My support for this answer came from lines 13-21.... "in cases where the grave is ancient and located in an area where the community of Native Americans associated with the grave has not recently lived, they are less likely to be successful in this regard" (i.e establishing standing).

Answer choice E fit those criteria perfectly thats why I chose it
Am I wrong? :oops:

christine.defenbaugh
Thanks Received: 585
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by christine.defenbaugh Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:14 pm

nandy_millette Wrote:My support for this answer came from lines 13-21.... "in cases where the grave is ancient and located in an area where the community of Native Americans associated with the grave has not recently lived, they are less likely to be successful in this regard" (i.e establishing standing).

Answer choice E fit those criteria perfectly thats why I chose it
Am I wrong? :oops:

Not at all! That's excellent work nandy_millette!

Sometimes in Reading Comprehension questions, we'll have clear textual support for the correct answer, and there's simply no existing support for the incorrect answers. This is a slightly unusual case - we get clear textual support for the correct answer, but we also have clear textual support denying each of the incorrect answers!

giladedelman's post above points out the textual support that allows us to confidently eliminate each of the incorrect answers, and your line references absolutely supports the correct answer (E)!

Keep up the excellent work!