missbernadette
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q1 - The tidal range at a particular

by missbernadette Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 am

I'm trying to grasp this question but I'm confused. I don't see how B is right. Isn't it what the argument is saying? Help, please!

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 5 times.

Re: Q1 - The tidal range at a particular

by bbirdwell Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Yes, this one is a bit befuddling for a #1, isn't it? Rely on your process of identifying the core and don't be afraid to hit the brakes a little if you encounter an unexpected speed bump in the first ten questions!

Quick note -- check out how I changed the title of the posting (PT_, S_, Q_:"_______") and please use that form for future postings :)

Ok, now on to the question. Notice how the word "entirely" sticks out in the conclusion. Also, that word "only" in the premise is going to play a key role, as expected. So here's the core:

premise: the only forces involved in inducing tides are sun and moon gravity

conclusion: tidal range explained entirely by gravitational forces

Let's re-phrase it. These are the only FORCES involved, therefore FORCES explain EVERYTHING?

Here's an analogy: Corona is the only beer on the menu. Therefore the menu is made entirely of beer.

Now, we can see that this argument has some major holes. Namely, it begs the question, "Is there anything else that could help explain?" Or, like our analogy, "So Corona is the only beer on the menu. But is there anything else on the menu?"

And (B) answers this question. Ah-ha! it says. What if the conditions in which the forces act affect things?

Well, then, the forces alone wouldn't explain it entirely, would they? The forces and the conditions in which they occur would be needed to explain...

See what I mean?
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

jamiejames
Thanks Received: 3
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by jamiejames Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:44 pm

what a confusing one for #1 haha. I totally chose D. Could you explain why D is incorrect, thank you so much!

edit: I see why B is correct, that is incredibly tricky. So it's essentially giving another reason for why the stated effect occurs?

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by bbirdwell Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 pm

(D) is wildly out of scope. The argument makes no claim regarding the "activity in the world's oceans" -- just tides.

For (B), yes! Another affect...
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:22 am

He means "effect". : )

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

griffin.811
Thanks Received: 43
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by griffin.811 Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Not sure I'm following Birdwell's explanation. After looking at this for a few, I'm more inclined to pick out the term shift.

Premise: G forces from sun and moon are only forces involved inducing (or bringing about/creating) tides

Conclusion: The magnitudes of tidal ranges are entirely explained by g forces.

There is a shift between inducing tides, to magnitudes of tidal ranges.

To me it seems the issue is that one thing can be responsible for bringing something about, but other things can determine magnitude.

For instance, a spark can induce a house fire, but, the contents of the house (propane tanks for grill, etc...) and weather, can have major influences on the magnitude of the fire.

I'm not really sure what answer choice B even means, but could it be getting at this difference? (I think it is just saying that other forces could be responsible for the magnitude of tidal range)

Thanks

jwms
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by jwms Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:10 pm

I know this is late, griffin.81, but what you're describing is right. And it's just another take of the same explanation provided above, really.