Q1

geverett
Thanks Received: 79
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q1

by geverett Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:05 am

Is the difference between A and C a matter of emphasis? Don't know if I have a firm grasp on the difference between them b/c while there are some slight wording differences it seems like the thrust of the difference is in the order of ideas. For example:

A - author's viewpoint, critics opposition

B - critics opposition, author's viewpoint

Would love to hear some more thoughts on this.

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q1

by bbirdwell Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm

I think it's totally a question of emphasis. Notice the commas and discard the qualifiers (dependent clauses) to understand exactly WHAT is being proposed as the main point.

This means that (A) is saying that the main point is: "some scholars persist in claiming that such burning..."

And likewise (C) is saying that the main point is: "evidence of the frequency of the burning is extensive"

(A) is more like the main point of the 1st paragraph. However, (C) better reflects the main point of the entire passage, as the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs present evidence about the burning that counters those scholars in the 1st paragraph.

Therefore we've got to choose (C). Does that make sense?

In a way, it all comes back to fundamentals -- when answers are complex, chop them into small pieces and emphasize the most important aspect.
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm