Shiggins
Thanks Received: 12
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

This post thanked 3 times.

Q1 - Powell: Private waste-removal companies

by Shiggins Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Powell says that Private waste-removal is more efficient. His reasoning is the statistics he cites.

Freeman does not disagree with his conclusion but says his conclusion is not justified. He does this by attacking an assumption of Powell's. The idea they are serving customers with same needs.

Freeman says that, since they choose their customers that helps them in costs. He could just as well finish and say this is why they are more efficient.

I would like to know if this is the proper reasoning for this question bc Freeman never explicitly says I disagree. He might be thinking it.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q1 - Powell: Private waste-removal companies

by noah Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm particularly excited about this part of your explanation:
Shiggins Wrote:Freeman does not disagree with his conclusion but says his conclusion is not justified. He does this by attacking an assumption of Powell's. The idea they are serving customers with same needs.

Everything was also correct, but this is the part many folks miss in this sort of question. You can agree with the conclusion as a fact, but not the reasoning used to draw it.

The way to think about these problems is to identify an answer for which each party would have an opinion (and those opinions must differ!). Wrong answers are generally half-scope or out of scope.

(A) is out of scope - nobody disputes that.

(B) correct- Powell would say it's efficiency, Freeman would say it's because the company can select its customers.

(C) is not discussed by Powell. For all we know, Powell agrees, but sees it as irrelevant.

(D) is out of scope.

(E) is tempting, but Powell doesn't discuss the needs of the customer.

Suslik20102
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q1 - Powell: Private waste-removal companies

by Suslik20102 Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:47 am

Hi, last year i use the ''new.mmovers. ca'' when i move to Canada, i hope it will be helpfull :)