Have a question about our books, syllabus, etc.? Ask away...

RogerD345
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q regards pg.221 & 254] Error info pg.258 & 273 of 5lb drill

by RogerD345 Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 am

Hi. today, i don't understand the answers' rationales

Drill 35. pg. 221 - 224, For Q. 5 , 7, 13,

5. which one of the following propsotiion is best illustrated by the statement above? text book answer: strengthen

7. the eingineer's argument cnaq most reasonably be interpreted as invoking which one of the following principles? text book answer: strengthen

13. the situation described above conforms most closely to which one of the following generalizations? text book answer: Most strongly supported

Q.5, and q.7, shouldn't this be Principle example considering the answer choices are illustrated by the Question Stem?

also Q.13, shouldn't this be Principle support since the situation described above conform to which one of the following generalizations? since the answer choices support the question stem, isn't this principle strengthen Q?

Pg.254.

Q.5. It's prerequisite for this class that you supply either you own camera or tripod. answer: C ---> OC or OT
shouldn't this be OC or OT ----> C since prerequisite is the necessary condition indicator.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now Error informaing (in my opinion) I Could be wrong.
Pg.258

Q.36.

Except is .. isn't this conditional Indicators?

I know except sometimes is not conditional indictors but Except is used like Unless in many Questions

----------------------------------------------------
Pg. 273.

Q.25. SEP ------> AC it is listed as NO.
but SEP ------> C ------> EP therefore, YES. isn't it?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3803
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q regards pg.221 & 254] Error info pg.258 & 273 of 5lb drill

by ohthatpatrick Tue May 21, 2019 12:13 am

Hey. I don't agree with #5 or #7. I'm going to send those to Errata as well.

#5 is saying "Which of the following [answers] is best [supported] by the statements above?"
That should be Inference - Most Strongly Supported.

"Statements" is almost always a giveaway that you're doing Inference. And any task that is asking "which answer is best supported/illustrated by the paragraph" is essentially Inference.

#7 should be Necessary Assumption, since the paragraph was an argument and the correct answer is a principle the author seems to have invoked (i.e "what bridge idea did the author seem to be assuming?")

If someone wanted to split hairs, they might call #7 a Most Strongly Supported, because you're still sorta being asked "which answer is best supported/illustrated by the paragraph", but since we're analyzing an argument, it makes more sense to name this with an Argument-based question type like Necessary Assumption (Inference is a Statements-based question type).

#13 is correctly labeled as Inference - Most Strongly Supported. But it would be hard for you to get that purely from the question stem wording. It's saying that the answers will be generalizations (ie. principles / propositions .... "BROAD" statements). The correct answer will be the one that best conforms to the paragraph. If we were conforming to an ARGUMENT, I would call it Necessary Assumption. Since we're conforming to a SITUATION (i.e. information, statements, passage), I would call it Most Strongly Supported.

When you do these problems, you end up picking "the most provable answer choice, given the paragraph", just like in Inference. By the way, this drill never uses the textbook name of Principle-Example, but for that sort of question (like #4), we would call it Inference - Most Strongly Supported. In a Principle-Example question, just like in an Inference question, you're thinking, "Based on this stimulus, which answer is best supported / the best illustration?"