interestedintacos
Thanks Received: 58
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

PT28, S2, G2; To prepare for fieldwork...

by interestedintacos Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Depending on which way you want to take this game on it can be either an open board or closed board game. If the researchers are the base it's open board; if the languages are the base (which Powerscore recommends) it's closed board.

How would you diagram this game with the Manhattan method? It seems immune to inferences.

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: PT28, S2, G2; To prepare for fieldwork...

by bbirdwell Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:02 pm

I would do it as a closed board, with the languages as the base. We know this will be the easiest way to organize it because of the first four constraints. Since we know exactly how many researchers each language gets, we should make the languages the base.

From there, you don't really need any inferences. There's one obvious one, and then you can dive into the questions and you'll be fine. You could take a quick glance at the questions to give you the confidence that you don't need many inferences -- notice 3 "If" questions, the "must be true" question with the long, descriptive choices, and the question that asks specifically about Rundi.

These kinds of questions don't need many inferences, if any, to answer, so you can proceed with confidence. When I wonder whether I have enough inferences to answer all the questions, and I look and see that only one of them is an "If" question, I keep digging for inferences. If there are a lot of "If" questions, I dive in.

The key to this game is correctly symbolizing and understanding the final constraint. It doesn't say that g and h must always appear together. Rather, it's a disguised conditional: If g --> h. So, g can never appear without h, but h can appear without g.
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

torstensson.e
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by torstensson.e Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:24 am

Could anyone show me how to diagram this game? Thanks!

stacksdoe
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by stacksdoe Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:22 pm

torstensson.e Wrote:Could anyone show me how to diagram this game? Thanks!

the master diagram is posted on the other diagram forum by a manhattan staff. However,

No one mentioned this, but you can also consider constructing templates/frames by assessing whether G is slotted at S or T, and when it is slotted in both S and T. Either set of variables will work as a base, but its more effecient and powerful to use the languages, and yes, because we know the contents and we are never certain where the variables go (except that H,L,P all match up with Y). Another way to look at it, the languages impose where the variables will be placed and thus since the languages control the variables they are best used as the base.
One last note: There is only obvious inference, that H,L,P only match to Y,; but another should also be clear, if G is matched up with both S and T, then L or P must be matched up with R because G can never be matched up with R, incase thats not also clear.

Anyone feedback?