Questions about or errata from our 5lb. Book of LSAT Practice Drills.

RogerD345
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Possible error in pg 72, drill 10 & drill.11.pg. 28

by RogerD345 Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi

Drill 10.

Q.29, considering regularly is a synonyms for usually , shouldn't Q.29 be categorized as most category contray the answers in book suggest, which says it should be under Some Category.

Q. 30. few can also be synonym for Some so shouldn't q.30 be classified both of most are not and some category ? For question 38, with same rationale as question 30, shouldn't this be classified under both most not as well as Some. Considering in lsat , some = At least one ?

Q.33. Shouldn't this question be classified under the category of some are not since
Some are not = Not every/Not Always contray the answers in book suggest, which says it should be under Some Category.

For drill 11, question 28's answer, even though this questions answer is not wrong, shouldn't be expressed with some arrow between two variables are better expression? at least one is synonym of concept Some.

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 93
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Possible error in pg 72, drill 10 & drill.11.pg. 28

by Laura Damone Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:02 pm

First, please excuse the delayed response. This one must have slipped through the cracks amidst all the craziness of the past few weeks.

Second, regarding Drill 10 Q. 29, I wouldn't say that "regularly" is synonymous with "usually." I regularly go to the grocery store, but I don't go there on more than 50% of days.

Similarly, I usually go to the grocery store instead of my husband, but he nonetheless goes regularly. I go 6 times a month and he goes twice. Thus, "regularly" should be categorized with "Some."

For 30 and 38, I agree with you. Problem is, this drill is about choosing a single category. Few X do Y implies two things: Some X do Y and Many/Most X do not. I'll add this to the list of fixes that we'll make in the 2nd edition. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

For 33, you're spot on. This is already on the docket of fixes for 2nd edition.

Regarding the other drill, am I correct that you're asking about Drill 11, question 28: "At least one dinosaur fossil will be discovered under each mountain"?

If so, I'd ask you to look beyond the quantifier "at least one" and focus instead on the conditional logic indicator "each." "Each" is like "any" and "all": it introduces the sufficient condition. So, if each mountain has a dino fossil, M --> DF. If you dropped the arrow and represented it as a "some" statement, you'd lose the essential meaning. It's not that some mountains have dino fossils. All of them do. The "some" quantifier is actually part of the necessary condition. If it's a mountain, it has some dino fossils. If something doesn't have any dino fossils, it's not a mountain.

Hope this helps, and thanks for being so diligent! If you see other potential errors, you can reach me directly by emailing lsaterrata@manhattanprep.com!
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep