Have a question about our books, syllabus, etc.? Ask away...

RogerD345
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Pg.426 of 5LB Book of Drill

by RogerD345 Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi. for Question 10-12, Quick Core parts breakdown,

Q. 11. Intermediate conclusion: it says non in the pg. 430.
but shouldn't this be (Answer for Q.11) if a city becomes unaffordable for the people who underpin civic society, the city will lose its identity.
instead of one of the premises.

also, For .q.43, 44, 45 from pg. 429. the answer in pg .433. makes sense and flawless, my concern is that but just how could the experts rephrased the relevant information in such skillful manner.

RogerD345
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Pg.944. Q.8's answewr and Q.9's answer.

by RogerD345 Mon May 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi.

Q.. 8. How can PR --> ~Ray --> ~ ST --> ~ LA
LA ---> St ---> Ray ---> ~ PR

when the last sentence Priestly will only go to the movies if Ray does not : ~ R ---> P ; ~P ---> R

Q.9. ~Gar -> EM --> Sapp ---> ~Rub
Rub---> ~Sapp --> ~EM --> Gar

if the design includes sapphires, if will not include rubies, the jeweler will only include emeralds in designs that also include sapphires and the jeweler includes garnets in all of her designs unless these designs include emeralds. :

Sapp --> ~~ Rub, (if the design includes sapphires, if will not include rubies)
Sapp--> Emer (the jeweler will only include emeralds in designs that also include sapphires )

RogerD345
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q.56. of pg. 949. and Q. 950's. q.68 q. 74 & Q.75 (951)

by RogerD345 Mon May 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Q.56 The answer is leather glove ---> leather jack ---> jeans ---> ~ Skirt ----> ~ Blouse ;
Blouse ----> skirt ---> ~jeans ----> ~Leath Jack ---> ~ Leath Glove

the text is following ....... she will not buy a blouse if she not buy a skirt (~ Skirt ---> ~ blouse) , and she will not buy a skirt if she buys a pair of jeans (jeans ---> ~ skirt) . she will only buy a leather jacket if she buys a pair of jeans (Jeans ----> leather jack) , and she will not buy leather gloves unless she buys a leather jacket. (Leather gloves ----> leather jacket)

Q. 950's q.68

the answer: s--->pet --> ~Capr ---> ~ P Ave apt
the text is following: no pets are alloed at the coast vie apartment coomplex (Pet---> ~ C apr; C par ----> ~ Pet) , which is the only apartment complex located on parkside (C apr ---> Parkside ; ~ Parkside ---> ~ C apr ) Samus only live in an apartment complex if it allows pets (P ----> Sam ; ~ Sam ----> ~pet)

74.: It is only possible to gather authentic input from constinuents by holding frequent town hall meetings that are accessible to all meetings it should be (Holding frequent town hall meeting accessible to all meeting ------> Authentic input) but in answer sheet it is backward in this part authentic input ----> frequent town hall meeting accessible

75. Sofia will not attend the party unless zoe attends (S---->Z) , and zoe only attends parties that xuan attends (X----> Z) . sofia will attend any party that tilda does not attend ~T ----> S , and whenever rosella attends a party, tilda does not (R -----> ~ T) . it makese sense till
R---> ~T ---> S ---->Z

BUT answer: R ---> ~ T --->S ---> Z ----> X

Also Q.35 of pg. 955

inference can be made some ancient civilization found on rivers featured a form of currency.
Terribly sorry to ask BUT pg. 966's Q. 20 - a playlist will not contain an older or a pop song unless it also included an instrumental piece: answer says
O or P ---> I ~I ---> ~ O and ~ P
shouldn't this be
O and P ----> I ; I ----> ~ O or ~P

considering Q. 28 (pg. 966) and I think this is correct.

Q.The brief must cite Hale and Maxwell unless it cites Lincoln

~H or ~ M ---> L ; ~ L ----> H and M

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3803
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Pg.426 of 5LB Book of Drill

by ohthatpatrick Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Hey, Roger.

In the future, please make separate threads for these different questions (it'll be easier for other forum users to find the answers to each of your separate questions).

for p. 430, it is correct to say that there is no Intermediate Conclusion. To be an intermediate conclusion, a claim must have its own support.

You were saying that this was an intermediate conclusion:
if a city becomes unaffordable for the people who underpin civic society, the city will lose its identity.

If that's an intermediate conclusion, then we should be able to ask, "Why? Why should I believe that when a city becomes unaffordable for the people who underpin civic society, the city loses its identity?"

If the argument had offered a reason why, it would have sounded like "Because ... the people who underpin civic society are the people who largely give the city its identity!"

Instead, the only other "answer" we'd have available is "Because .... teachers/artists/nurses/civil servants are getting priced out of urban communities."

Huh? Why would losing certain people cause the city to lose its identity?
Because certain people are getting priced out? You still haven't told me why that has any effect on the city's identity.

-----------------

I couldn't follow what you were saying with this question:
also, For .q.43, 44, 45 from pg. 429. the answer in pg .433. makes sense and flawless, my concern is that but just how could the experts rephrased the relevant information in such skillful manner.

Are you saying how would an expert figure out where the conclusion is / etc?

I don't actually think our write-up for that one is correct at all. At no point does that paragraph claim that "love at first sight rarely results in lasting relationships", so calling that the conclusion seems very wrong to me.

I would think of this as less of an argument and more of a causal hypothesis for a curious fact.
PREMISE (curious fact): many of the most fulfilling relationships are not from love at first sight, but from circumstances that brought people together and adversity they mutually endured.

CONCLUSION (causal hypothesis): a fulfilling relationship evidently comes from the feelings partners have for each other, as a result of enriching each other's lives within the context of a social relationship.

--------------------------------------------------

pg. 944

for Q8, you asked if we should be diagramming the last sentence this way:
Priestly will only go to the movies if Ray does not : ~ R ---> P ; ~P ---> R

It looks like you're seeing the "if", and thinking that this says
"If Ray does not go, Priestly will go".

However, it really says
Priestly will only go to the movies if Ray does not
which is the same as
Priestly will go to the movies only if Ray does not.

"If" ideas go on the left. "Only if" ideas go on the right side of the arrow.

From that sentence, I know that
"If Ray goes, Priestly will not go" because they told me that "Priestly will only go if Ray isn't going".
R --> ~P
P --> ~R

For Q9, you didn't exactly ask a question, but it looks like you were getting tripped up with
the jeweler will only include emeralds in designs that also include sapphires
Sapp--> Emer (the jeweler will only include emeralds in designs that also include sapphires )

Same lesson as with Q8: Putting the word "only" before the verb is confusing you.
I will include emeralds only if the design has sapphires
is the same as
I will only include emeralds if the design has sapphires
is the same as
I will only include emeralds in designs that include sapphires

Think about where the certainty comes from. "I will ONLY use emeralds if there's sapphires." That doesn't mean that every time I use sapphires there's emeralds. It means that if I didn't use sapphires, I won't use emeralds.

if there's no sapphire ----guarantees--> no emeralds
if there's emeralds -----guarantees --> there are sapphires

-----------------

p. 949

Q.56 looks like you have the same confusion when the 'only' appears before the verb:
she will only buy a leather jacket if she buys a pair of jeans (Jeans ----> leather jack)

This is saying the same thing as
"she will buy a leather jacket only if she buys a pair of jeans" (leather jack ----> jeans)

-----------

p.950

Q68 same confusion
"Seamus will only live in an apartment complex if it allows pets"
is the same as
"Seamus will live in an apartment complex only if it allows pets"

The other construction there is "the only", which usually introduces a left side idea.
"The only people who play in the NFL are men" = "Play in the NFL --> man"

"The only apt complex located on P Ave is Coastview" = "Apt complex on P ave --> Coastview"

Q74
"It's only possible to gather authentic input from constituents by holding frequent town halls accessible to all"
is the same as
"gathering authentic input REQUIRES that we hold frequent town halls accessible to all"
is the same as
"we can gather authentic input ONLY IF we hold frequent town halls"
is the same as
"IF we don't hold frequent town halls, it will be impossible to gather authentic input"

These would all look like
~Freq town halls --> ~Gather auth input
Gather auth input --> Freq town halls

Q75, you're messing up the "only" one again.
zoe only attends parties that xuan attends (X----> Z)

This is the same as saying "Zoe attends a party only if Xuan attends"
or "If Xuan isn't attending, then Zoe isn't attending"

----------------

pg. 955

Q35 - an inference can only be made if we have two MOST facts about the same group
f.e. "Most A's are B, and Most A's are C"
or if we have an ALL fact and some other fact about the trigger for that ALL fact.

I think your confusion here is in thinking that "significant number" = "most".
It does not. I can say that "a significant number of Americans die each year from opioid overdose." That doesn't mean "most Americans die each year from opioid overdose".

--------

pg. 966

Q20. "Unless" = "if not", which means if you negate the idea attached to the Unless and put it on the left side (as we do with "if" ideas), you're good to go.

So we'd say
"If playlist NOT includes instrumental piece, then will not contain oldie or pop song"
~I --> ~ (O or P)
which is the same as
~I --> ~O and ~P

Consider a rule that says
"you will not get your award unless you can name all 50 states."
that would look like
"if you're getting an award, then you can name all 50 states"

This rule says
"you will not have O or P unless there's an I"
so that means
"if you're seeing O or P, then there's an I"

With Q28, we can again apply the "if not" rule.
"If NOT cite Lincoln, then Hale and Maxwell".
~L --> H and M.

Hope this helps.

RogerD345
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Re: Pg.426 of 5LB Book of Drill

by RogerD345 Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Thank you very much sir