MonteC338
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Personal Statement and Soft Factors

by MonteC338 Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm planning to apply for a JD program in 2019, and I've been getting mixed reviews as to what I should include in my personal statement. A pre-law advisor read two separate drafts and suggested that each should include why I'm interested in studying law, and that I should tie my chosen topic into that. However, the schools I've looked into typically state that's not necessary (they're mostly T14 schools, for what that's worth). I've also been in the military for ten years, but neither of my drafts draw heavily on that (my resume does, obviously); and I've heard that military topics, when done correctly, tend to leave a better impression with admission officials. I guess my first questions, then, would be:

1. Would it be better to tie my personal statement topic into my interest in law?
2. Would it be better to use a military-related topic for my personal statement?

I also have a number of other questions related to "soft factors":

1. Will it matter that I took the majority of my undergraduate courses online? (It was a regionally accredited institution)
2. Some schools allow an addendum if you believe your GPA doesn't accurately reflect your academic performance. Supposing my addendum was convincing, will it really matter?
3. Will soft factors reliably offset hard factors to any degree? (I'm still planning on needing a 170 LSAT score to make my applications realistic.)

I'm applying with a 3.72 cumulative GPA (3.82 institution/major), which I believe will come out to 3.74 and 3.84 LSDAS. However, I have an A.A.S. from an institution that graded "pass/fail" that didn't affect my GPA, though I achieved 90% or above on all applicable coursework and maintained instructor and peer ratings within the top 10% of my class, as evidenced by awards given by the institution. (This is the basis of the addendum mentioned.) These courses were in-residence.

Sorry for the long list of questions. I've been through a few different resources (pre-law advisor, Service2School ambassador, and Google), but no one has really been able to answer any of the above definitively.

RazyR660
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Personal Statement and Soft Factors

by RazyR660 Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm looking forward to study LAw too but I've done the school online so idk if it matters :(

TraceyP27
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Personal Statement and Soft Factors

by TraceyP27 Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:24 am

Interesting change you're making. Law is not easy at all, as well as the military, of course. I wonder what made you change your mind. Both of them are hard, but worthy fields to work in. I've found on linkedin resume writing service someone who wanted from Law to change to the military. I couldn't honestly. I am in the Law field and it's amazing, I wonder how could one not know anything about Law? It helps with life in general, with the usual stuff. It did wonders for me, changed my perspective about the world, truly.