tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Passage Discussion

by tzyc Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:17 pm

This passage is really confusing...especially the last paragraph. Why would it be counterproductive?
They stopped slavery because they wanted to encourage people to work? (using high salary...incentive?)
Is this passage confusing because this is one of the old PTs?
Just wondering whether modern PT would have similar structure...(by the way would you say up 40s are modern? or up PT 30s?)

In this passage,
the scale seems
Slavery is ended for economic reasons vs not economic reasons
And the author agrees there was economic reasons somewhat but basically thinks Williams' idea is flawed.
The author gives examples:
Drescher...there are many economic motives to continue slavery, but the author criticizes the idea...(supports the idea Williams is wrong)
Elitis...free market fits peope's demand...(supports the idea there was non-economic reasons)

Is this correct?
By the way...Eltis thinks the liberty is not strong as Drescher thinks, but when did Drescher talk about liberty? L14~?

Thank you

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Passage Discussion

by tommywallach Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 am

Hey Strawberry,

I'd say there are a couple ways you can look at the scale here, none of them simple. In truth, the author agrees with all three men mentioned. The two new authors are contrasted with Williams, but only as refinements. All three authors are said to have good points.

Williams: Abolition was primarily economic
Drescher: Economics can't explain it entirely; also political activism (fails to explain how support came about)
Eltis: Support came about because of economic issues (so agreement with BOTH Williams and Drescher)

To your first point, I don't find this passage particularly strange for a final passage in an RC section, to be honest. Though PT19 is indeed quite old, I wouldn't write this one off as bizarre.

As for liberty, yes Drescher discusses liberty when he mentions that "antislavery petitions outnumbered those on any other issues."

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com