Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Passage Discussion

by LSAT-Chang Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:56 pm

I wasn't sure if I had the right scale for this passage, but please feel free to provide any feedback on what I had.

Side A -- the two approaches can be resolved (author)

Side B -- cannot be resolved???

Or this..?

Side A -- subjective approach to studying mind is better (some philosophers)

Side B -- objective approach to studying mind is better (some philosophers)

The only problem with this one is that I don't know where the author stands. So that was why I thought that this may not be the correct scale.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Passage Discussion

by maryadkins Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:16 am

First scale is the winner! And for the reason you mentioned, for one--we want to be able to put the author somewhere. The second scale you posted is what we think the scale is going to be until we get to the third paragraph. Another good example of the importance of revisiting your scale as you move through the passage...

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by LSAT-Chang Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Thank you Mary!! I'm glad this is starting to work out for me.. I never put the scale to use because I was afraid that it was going to take me too long and all (it still does take me about 3 minutes to read a passage) but I'm getting better at it which makes me happy that this approach is actually working :) Also, I really need to be flexible with my scale, since you are right in that, we "think" the second scale is the debate that is going on UNTIL we come across the author's point!! I guess I need to think in terms of, if there is a debate, the author goes on one side, and whoever goes against the author goes on the other side. Would you agree? :)

hnadgauda
Thanks Received: 12
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by hnadgauda Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:38 am

Passage Map:

1: Philosophers promote objectivity.

2: Philosophers promote subjectivity.

3: Author's opinion! Clue: "what is particularly distressing." Author is saying it is unfortunate that objectivists and subjectivists can't even have reasonable discourse.

4: Last sentence is important. The authority of the texts will help resolve the debate.

5: Expands on paragraph 4.