Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Passage Discussion

by LSAT-Chang Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Any ideas on what the scale might look like for this question?

I had something along the lines of..

Side A -- Shelley v. Kramer was crucial to Brown v. Board of education success (legal scholars)

Side B -- ??

basically the whole passage seemed like it was elaborating on the first paragraph's statement of "preliminary tests of legal strategies and early erosions of the foundations of discrimination against African Americans paved the way for success in Brown".

demetri.blaisdell
Thanks Received: 161
LSAT Geek

Re: Passage Discussion

by demetri.blaisdell Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm happy to give a little feedback here, changsoyeon. I think you're missing some key parts of the passage by setting it up as "several cases led to Brown v. Board" vs. "they didn't" or something similar to that.

How about this:

Side 1: Lawyers needed to choose either the practical or the theoretical approach to getting rid of separate but equal.
-NAACP at first

Side 2: The practical approach set the stage for the eventual theoretical victory in Brown.
-Marshall
-Author
support - Shelley v. Kraemer (sociological data)

I don't think my scale is perfect. But it gets that long second paragraph incorporated in the diagram. Let me know what you think about this. As I said in the other post, nobody has a monopoly on the perfect scale.

Demetri

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Re: Passage Discussion

by LSAT-Chang Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:08 pm

This looks much better than mine. I knew something was weird about my scale, and you are right in that I didn't have a full grasp of the passage when I was done reading it -- though it doesn't seem like a hard passage. Thanks for the feedback Demetri. I really appreciate it!!