mcrittell
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Passage Discussion

by mcrittell Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:21 am

What?!?! Can some please illuminate me on this one please! Also, how does one deal with situations like this when what you're reading isn't being processed? (I tried actively reading and annotating, but didn't prove beneficial here)

judy.kang020
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Passage Discussion

by judy.kang020 Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:51 pm

mcrittell Wrote:What?!?! Can some please illuminate me on this one please! Also, how does one deal with situations like this when what you're reading isn't being processed? (I tried actively reading and annotating, but didn't prove beneficial here)

I'll try to explain...

Paragraph 1: context/background of socioeconomic theories is explained

the phrase "typically applied" in line 5 indicates the other people's argument. Usually this sets up something that the author will argue against. The authors opinion follows the "-but" in line 6. The author believes that both cultural and structural based explanations need to be applied.

This paragraph goes on to explain, in general terms, what a cultural and structural based explanation is

Paragraph 2: You find the authors opinion restated in the first sentence of this paragraph and explanation of the cultural side

" only an analysis of supply side (cultural) and demand side (structural) factors together, in the context of historical events will suffice."

On the cultural side, differences in immigration pattern and family formation explain the different rates of socioeconomic achievements. This claim is supported by the concept of sojourners v. Settlers.

Paragraph 3: structural side is explained.

Development of capitalist economy influenced the immigrants status attainment. For support, the discussion of early and advanced capitalist economy is made