AshleighT608
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Passage Discussion

by AshleighT608 Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:51 pm

I am having trouble figuring out the scale of this passage. It seems to me that it is an informative passage that explains how you decide whether a ballad is a corrido or not a corrido, based on information the author has given. I'm new to deciphering the scale so I am not even sure how to word either side. I also don't know what side the author would be on... basically - Im confused...

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Passage Discussion

by ohthatpatrick Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Hey, yeah you're totally on point. There's no scale. It's just informative and neutral throughout.

You shouldn't be reading RC passages thinking that every passage has a Scale. Most do, but it still might only be like 70% of them.

So don't try to force a square peg in a round hole. :)

EVERY passage has an author, who had a specific purpose and, through the lens of that purpose, could be said to have had some main point.

But this passage is a challenge even when it comes to localizing one claim as the Main Point. It was really just a debriefing on what corridos are / where they were used. You'd try to find whatever 2 or 3 things about corridos seemed to have the most importance/distinction to the author (P2's notion that they are simple retellings of stories and P3's notion that they use standard conventions)

AshleighT608
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Passage Discussion

by AshleighT608 Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Gotcha, thank you so much!