Thanks Received: 12
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

This post thanked 1 time.

Passage Discussion

by hnadgauda Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Passage Map:

1: Internet has no borders.
2: Governments exist with the presumption that their jurisdictions are valid over certain borders. The only way to impose control over what people see on the internet is to ban it.
3: Trademarks are especially difficult to enforce in this era of internet.
4: Privacy is another concern brought on by the internet.

Possible scale: Limiting the internet vs. NOT limiting the internet. The author is on the side of not limiting the internet. The clue that tipped me off to this was the use of the word draconian (line 24)!

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Passage Discussion

by andrewgong01 Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm

I have a disagreement over the scale. I did not think the passage really had a scale. The passage was about the challenges in regulating the internet and not over wether or not we should or should not ban the internet as that would be too narrow in scope.

P1 = Intro to the internet
P2= Why it is hard to just control the internet, which challenges notions of soveringty
P3=Challenge #1 : Trademarks
P4=Challenge #2 : Privacy Concerns

From the passage map that I made it does not really seem like the scale should be centered around banning the internet; rather, it seems more like an exposition on the challenges of the internet in challenging our traditional approaches to regulations. The passage is pretty one sided without any voices from those who say the internet presents "no" challenges