jdillier
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

trophy
First Responder

NERVES

by jdillier Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Any one have any stories or strategies for overcoming paralyzing anxiety during the LSAT. I've never been one to be nervous about much but after 2 LSATs (a cancel and a MUCH lower score than anticipated) I'm at my wits end with this test. :twisted: I'm confident in my prep but somehow test nerves seem to be getting the best of me.

Talked to doctor about taking a blood pressure med wondering if anyone had ever tried that approach before? I've never had test anxiety before but obviously this is something that needs to be dealt with before law school.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: NERVES

by noah Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:43 pm

There are definitely a lot of people who have used medication to deal with test-anxiety. I know someone who uses Beta-blockers to disrupt the connection between anxiety and a physical reaction (i.e. supposedly you get nervous but your heart doesn't start racing). But, that's for a doctor to say.

There are also other things (non-medical) to do about test anxiety, but it sort of depends on what happens to you specifically when you take the test. Care to specify a bit?

jdillier
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

trophy
First Responder

by jdillier Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 pm

After talking to someone who reccommended the beta blocker method and a doctor I think I'm going to try that out and see if it helps. It's hard to just completely ignore the fact that this is a MAJOR test and that every question is so important. It's easier said than done to just focus on the particular question at hand.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes, this can be a very stressful test. Some people seem to channel the anxiety into a better performance -- and if we figure out how to bottle that, we'll be famous!

In terms of preparation for reducing anxiety, other than methods specific to anxiety (recreating test conditions, deep breathing, positive thinking), making as much of the test routine is important. It's harder to get stressed about routine acts. At the same time, unless you're really in the 180 range, there will be some questions that will be very tough for you, if not impossible, and so it's nice to remind yourself of this fact and let go of some questions. Here's an article about getting your top score that explores that a bit more: http://www.atlaslsat.com/blog/index.php ... sat-score/

Good luck with your new approach.

armia.araz
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by armia.araz Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:08 am

It's hard to just completely ignore the fact that this is a MAJOR test and that every question is so important.
AS