PrashantG41
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Manhattan Categorization of LR questions

by PrashantG41 Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:36 am

I'm working my way through Manhattan's LR book, and though I find it awesome, I could do with some extra problems - category-wise. To this end, I was wondering whether Manhattan has categorized past LR questions according to their own question-type classification, and if so, whether my purchase of the LR book provides me access to such classification?

Thanks for clarifying!

Prashant

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Manhattan Categorization of LR questions

by ohthatpatrick Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Hey, there.

As far as I know we do NOT have a list of questions by type. We used to have books like that for the older tests:

(here's an example from an online used bookstore)
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/10-real-l ... q=24499978

We haven't been doing that for recent tests, though, for a few reasons:

1. students don't learn to recognize question types as well when you always provide them with batches. our current syllabus encourages a lot of "Search & Destroy" activities (meaning it will tell a student to go practice Flaw questions, but not immediately tell the student where those questions are found, forcing the student to actually scan LR question stems in order to find the ones that have Flaw keywords in them)

2. According to learning science, we get better long term results on a mixed test when our practice is also mixed. Students FEEL better when they do "blocked practice" (same type of thing over and over), but then these students struggle when they go to take a test and have to keep switching from question type to question type

One resource you could use, though, is Navigator (in your online student center). You could take any test, Score the test (enter choice C 100 times or any random answers you want), and then use the score report for that test to look at the question type of each question.

i.e. I could take test 75, enter 100 random answers in Navigator, score the test, and then look at which problems were Flaw, which were Inference, etc.

Hope this helps.

PrashantG41
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Manhattan Categorization of LR questions

by PrashantG41 Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 pm

Thanks for clarifying, and for that tip. Sounds a bit cumbersome, but I'll try and see how it works.

Prashant